Fence Help - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Fence Help

Hey All,

Our house had an above ground pool when we moved in. We pulled it out, but still have the footprint - a big 30' circle of stone dust in our back yard. We decided, rather than digging it up and trying in vain to turn it into lawn, that we would turn it into a big garden - it's perfectly positioned (sun-wise) and we could do a bunch of fun raised beds and containers.

So I want to fence in this giant circle. I want it to look nice (in a rustic / gardenny type of way) so I'm going with something like this :

Basically, 4x4 PT posts, veritcal 2x6 along the top and bottom, chicken wire or similar in the middle to keep out our dogs and the local fauna.

THe problem is... the circle. Ideally, one would make that kind of fence by putting the boards on the outside of the 4x4 (figure 1 in my lovely MS Paint drawing below), but since the fence is round (well.... roundish, more like an octagon with like 20 sides) all the boards would be at an angle an djust look sloppy (fig 2), even if I mitred the boards. So I was trying to think of a way to put the boards on the SIDE of the posts, rather than along the front (figure 3). Can anyone think of a good way to do this? I considered something like joist hangers but think that would be a) expensive and b) kind of ugly, given what I'm trying to do.

Advertisement

Last edited by TheBobmanNH; 07-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Fence Help

I think I'd be inclined to go with option 3. I think predrilling holes in your 2x6 and putting a 3" screw thru both members would be fine.

I'd probably take it a step further and take my router or paddle bit / chisel and make a notch in the 4x4 where the 2x6 would sit in.

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 738

Fence Help

Why would you not just square up the stone base so the whole thing would be a square?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #4

Fence Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would you not just square up the stone base so the whole thing would be a square?
It's kind of built into a slight hill, so there's a rounded retaining wall on both the "top" and "bottom" parts. Squaring it off would look weird and be a real PITA. I suppose it is an option though; I thought having it circular would be kind of a unique way of doing it but the logistics are turning out to be a little more difficult

Old 07-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #5

Fence Help

I still think option 3 would be the way to go. I dont see anything difficult about what you are trying to do.

Find the center of what you want to do and bury 8 posts directly across from one another. That would give you an octagon that fit your circle pretty well.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #6

Fence Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
I still think option 3 would be the way to go. I dont see anything difficult about what you are trying to do.

Find the center of what you want to do and bury 8 posts directly across from one another. That would give you an octagon that fit your circle pretty well.
Word. Where are you suggesting putting the 3" nails? Just toe-nailing? That's my only concern with that approach.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Fence Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
Word. Where are you suggesting putting the 3" nails? Just toe-nailing? That's my only concern with that approach.
I'd do it this way. And no nails. 3" Screws all the way.

There are many options to strengthen that joint.

1) make a notch for the 2x6 to sit in
2) Install a mitered collar around the 4x4 which would act like a cleat
3) us a 6x6 post and cut it down to a 4x4 dimension where the 2x6 would sit on the ledge created.

My biggest concern would be how far would the 2x6 have to span? What is the circumference or diameter of that circle?
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to brockmiera For This Useful Post:
TheBobmanNH (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Fence Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockmiera View Post
I'd do it this way. And no nails. 3" Screws all the way.

There are many options to strengthen that joint.

1) make a notch for the 2x6 to sit in
2) Install a mitered collar around the 4x4 which would act like a cleat
3) us a 6x6 post and cut it down to a 4x4 dimension where the 2x6 would sit on the ledge created.

My biggest concern would be how far would the 2x6 have to span? What is the circumference or diameter of that circle?
THANKS! You're a mensch. I know this is probably a silly question so I appreciate you answering it. I'm not particularly good at winging things like this and I can't find ANYONE who's built (and documented) this type of thing (which should probably telll me it's a bad idea, but meh).

I'm aiming for 8-foot spans (just because 2"x6"x8' is an easy thing to get), with however many posts it takes to make that circle around. I think it's a 26' diameter circle, and I was using SketchUp to figure out how many posts I would need (though I forget the number right now).
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #9

Fence Help

I think you might be searching for the wrong thing. Search out wooden round pens on google and you get plenty of hits. I'm not sure if they break many stallions up where you are but in my neck of the woods these designs are pretty common.

A 26' diameter would give you a circumference of about 82'.

with 8' spacing you'd have 10 posts which would give you a decagon instead of an octagon. That would fit your space even nicer.
The Following User Says Thank You to brockmiera For This Useful Post:
TheBobmanNH (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fence Help

build it round like an above ground pool metal ring base 30' and the top ring with poles the ring will keep it round...wrapped in farming mesh screening check out www.TekSupply.com my 2 cents on the project.keeping it round would look nice with a gate and walk path between the beds
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
TheBobmanNH (07-26-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #11

Fence Help

Finally got the time / money to start this project. Got the posts in a while back, finally got most of the fencing up this weekend.

Advertisement