Felling A Small Tree: DIY Doable? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Felling a small tree: DIY doable?

I'm debating whether I should cut down a pear tree myself.

The trunk is about a foot in diameter, maybe a tad less and there are phone lines running along the top.

Only one quote so far, $250. If I DIY, I'll have to rent/buy a chainsaw, but can borrow a pole pruner. Don't have much experience using a chainsaw, but use a circular saw all the time. I figure I'd prune as I can with the pole pruner and then cut as much as possible from the top down, then cut the trunk.

I've never cut down a tree before, so if I'm doing anything dangerous to myself and/or my property, please let me know!

Advertisement

menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

For $250 I'd say it's not worth the risk to you. It's fairly close to the house and your neighbours, plus you mention a phone line? There may be too many 'what if's' with this project for a DIYer. What if you fall the tree the wrong way and it ends up on (1. your roof, 2. your neighbours roof, 3. the fence, 4. all of the above) or what if you hurt yourself or someone else.

Obviously your call, but I'd say this tree has too many potential risks for someone to 'learn' on.

Advertisement

Huck2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huck2013 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (05-13-2013), kwikfishron (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 616

That is a very nice tree. Wondering why you want to cut it down. 250 dollars it would have been down already. I have had trees do the strangest things when being cut down. Taking down a tree is not a diy project. When that chainsaw kicks it is going to go right to your face, if the chain breaks it will go for your face. If you pin the saw when cutting the tree you will need to have a pro come out anyway. But I would say go for it because then at least the tree stands a chance at survival.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck2013 View Post
For $250 I'd say it's not worth the risk to you.
I agree 100%. So long as the guy who is going to do it, is insured and agrees he is liable for any damage. Not just a handyman from Craiglist that happens to own a chainsaw.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPS-1 For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,680

you guys are sissys. that tree is nothing.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
menevets (07-02-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
lol...

i agree, kinda....

you can take that down easy, for probably $20 and some elbow grease.

if you have room, back towards where you took the photo, all you need is some rope, a bow saw, a friend and arm muscles. lop off the branches going over the fence as high as you can/want. tie a rope as high as you can around the trunk and hand the other end to your buddy. he pulls while you saw the base....timber....

if you can borrow a chainsaw as opposed to buying/renting one, your cost just dropped to near zero.
Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chokingdogs For This Useful Post:
menevets (07-02-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
I agree too.....that would take maybe 30 minutes....

I would just use my cordless sawzall....start cutting branches....do like the pros do...tie a rope to the limb....one person pulls while you cut (top down)....

Cut/break up the smaller limbs and put in your trash....leave the bigger pieces on the curb....it will gone before the day is out...firewood for someone else.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
menevets (07-02-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Menevets - It's up to you obviously. Just consider the pro's and con's, risk and $$$$. Safety is sometimes worth a couple dollar you know what I mean!?!

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to cut it down. But I've owned/used a chainsaw for years; made my share of mistakes and got lucky a couple times.
Huck2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the advice. I think I'll try trimming the top and easy branches myself first, see what I'm up against. I'll borrow the pole pruner first. Can you rent a cordless sawzall?

And another question. I am guessing the $250 doesn't include the stump removal. That'll be extra, yes?
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

If the $250 did include the stump....that would be a bargain......

If you don't have a sawzall....time to go buy one.....you would be amazed at how many jobs you will find for it.....

Go looking for the combo kits. I personally think Ryobi is the best bang for the buck. You can typically get a combi kit that includes the drill, sawzall and circular saw along with a battery and charger. Lithium is the better way to go.

BTW, the cordless drill has a 1/2" chuck....unusual for cordless drills....and well worth it. My Ryobi's have built a garage and my 2-story addition.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
menevets (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #11

I tried trimming the top and got four estimates. Two for $400 and two for $250. Decided to go with one of the $250 guys. I guess I could do it myself for around $50, but I just saved some money putting up the fence in the photo and I figure I can learn by watching some experienced guys doing it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

You can cut that down with a hand saw limb by limb!
I have a saw that I bought at TSC that fits on a 3/4" conduit.
The saw was $6.99

Last edited by Hardway; 05-17-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hardway For This Useful Post:
menevets (07-02-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 77

As mentioned above, does the $250 include stump removal/grinding? If so, pay up and have it done professionally (assuming, of course, it's a professional and not some jackwagon with tools). If the $250 does not include stump removal, have you thought about that yet? You should be able to easily remove the tree as you planned (and a chainsaw or sawzall is always a good investment anyway!), but removing the stump is something you'd certainly want to call in a pro for.. it's not so much dangerous as it is laborious.

If you do decide to tackle it yourself, use caution and buy a buddy a six pack (afterwards, of course!) to get his help. Last think you need is one of those limbs hitting a house, or worse.
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 113

I'm in the "No, don't do it" category. Sorry.

Too many limbs, too tight a space, too little experience. During cutting, if not done perfectly, it can snap back and take out that fence. It might not fall perfectly. It's just not a great tree to start on. An arborist would probably limb a lot of it first before cutting the trunk. No way you're going up there to do that.

Is it do-able? Yeah, absolutely. Wise? Probably not. Worst case, if you really must, make sure you use good equipment and all the appropriate safety gear.
Scottg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #15

Finally got most of it done:

Did it myself. I rented a reciprocating saw with the intent of just trimming the top and then planned to rent a chainsaw to do the trunk but the r-saw was enough. Just needed a ladder and goggles. The hardest part was felling the branches while not destroying any telephone lines or my neighbor's property. My fence took a minor bump from one of trunks falling, but very minor, can't even see a bruise.

Took about 1.5 hours on my own including making small talk with the neighbor, which turned out to me like 20 minutes, rental fee for saw: $15.

I've got a yard full of branches and trunk, literally, to cleanup and throw out though.

I think I'm gonna splurge on my next round of golf. :-)

Thanks to all for the advice. In retrospect, those people charging $400, seems way overpriced.

Advertisement

Last edited by menevets; 07-02-2013 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more

Tags
tree removal