Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Share |

extreme bush whacking

I've noticed that the garden pop-up heads from my in-ground sprinker come up deep inside some of my front bushes. In tandem, I've realized my garden is really crowded. I do try to sculpt and trim them. Guess I haven't been paying attention over the years.

The problem is there is only green growth in the outer parts of these bushes. They must have been small when the previous owner installed the heads. So if I cut back these bushes now back to where they don't interfere with the heads - there will be no green. I'll be into the sticks of the bush.

I guess I could cut them back slowly over time. Any better solution?

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #2

extreme bush whacking

cut em down. and plant smaller ones. ???

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

extreme bush whacking

Try thinning them out---not just wacking them off at the surface---a bit to start and see if they respond to the fact the centers of them are getting sunlight again. What are they? If not, they will have to come out.

If watering patterns are your issue, why not convert to drip irrigation and eliminate the need for conventional spray heads? Plants will love it and you will be able to water just where you want and in gallons per hour not gallons per minute.

You might want to update your profile so we know where you are, by the way.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote