Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Extending a patio

My current backyard patio is just a simple 15x8' piece of slab, barely big enough for my table and chairs. Below is my floorplan which shows my current slab. I would like to extend my patio (as shown by the red and blue). I think it will be easier for me to start with just the red area, then move on to the blue afterwards. Im looking for tips and tricks in laying my own concrete and joining a new slab with the old slab. I do plan to stain the entire patio when Im done so tint isnt an issue for me.

I was thinking first making the outline and clearing all the grass/debri etc...I want the concrete to be 4" thick so Ill dig down about 6" to allow for a base of roadbase rock and concrete mesh. I have also read that I should drill into the existing concrete about 4" and insert Rebar pieces every 12" or so (the length of the new slab).

Does this sound like Im going in the right direction? Or am I completely in left field? Thanks for your help.

Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote