Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

Elegant Boxwoods

Just recently planted some small boxwoods in some old pots I had laying around. They've got a while to grow, but how can I train them to eventually look this full?

smokey847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Elegant Boxwoods

Smokey--that's one fancy place you have there--nice old pots too

You will need to prune the young plants back in the fall in order to encourage root growth ---

We have some green thumb folks here that will offer tip on pruning--

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Elegant Boxwoods

uh Mike..thats my place..duh

Anyway, there is lots of info out there on how to shape a boxwood. A couple of things to remember:
They have their growth spurts in early spring, so do your pruning late winter, and just maintain the shape as needed.

Those perfectly shaped ones look as though they've been trimmed with an electric hedge trimmer and not a hand held

http://www.ehow.com/how_7971763_shap...ood-shrub.html
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-19-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Elegant Boxwoods

Pruning early on and regularly is one of the most important factors. You will want to prune so nice thick growth is encouraged over the whole plant. Pruning away 1/3 or more of top growth when planting (anything) when plants are young will encourage root growth. Prune as much for structure as appearance when the plants are young. For example, get rid of crossing branches and stuff like that. If you surface prune only, growth will only be on the surface. Prune to let air and light to the whole plant.

Regular feeding with a balanced fertilizer is also important for any container plant as is thoroughly leaching the soil with water now and then. I used to like using liquid fertilizers or something like Miracle Gro that you mix with water better than time released granular stuff. It is a matter of how much time you have though. Look for fertilizers that are not overly high in nitrogen (Nitrogen is the first number in the NPK ratio which is those three numbers marked on any fertilizer).

Boxwoods like even moisture but not soggy soil. And keep an eye on Ph.

Containers can dry out remarkably fast. Think about running some clandestine drip irrigation with pot emitters to stay ahead of watering. You can add a fertilizer injector and timer for under $80. Drip irrigation itself is not expensive.

Patience is also required for boxwoods. It will be worth it.

Over time, you may have to root prune the boxwoods if you leave them in a container. So I would pick up a good book on pruning and training topiaries and ornamentals in containers that includes a chapter on that aspect of growing in containers. Order some books from the library first then buy one that makes the most sense.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

Elegant Boxwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Pruning early on and regularly is one of the most important factors. You will want to prune so nice thick growth is encouraged over the whole plant. Pruning away 1/3 or more of top growth when planting (anything) when plants are young will encourage root growth. Prune as much for structure as appearance when the plants are young. For example, get rid of crossing branches and stuff like that. If you surface prune only, growth will only be on the surface. Prune to let air and light to the whole plant.

Regular feeding with a balanced fertilizer is also important for any container plant as is thoroughly leaching the soil with water now and then. I used to like using liquid fertilizers or something like Miracle Gro that you mix with water better than time released granular stuff. It is a matter of how much time you have though. Look for fertilizers that are not overly high in nitrogen (Nitrogen is the first number in the NPK ratio which is those three numbers marked on any fertilizer).

Boxwoods like even moisture but not soggy soil. And keep an eye on Ph.

Containers can dry out remarkably fast. Think about running some clandestine drip irrigation with pot emitters to stay ahead of watering. You can add a fertilizer injector and timer for under $80. Drip irrigation itself is not expensive.

Patience is also required for boxwoods. It will be worth it.

Over time, you may have to root prune the boxwoods if you leave them in a container. So I would pick up a good book on pruning and training topiaries and ornamentals in containers that includes a chapter on that aspect of growing in containers. Order some books from the library first then buy one that makes the most sense.

what is this strange word?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Elegant Boxwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
what is this strange word?
Shuuuuush. Type more quietly please!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #7

Elegant Boxwoods

This is what I am working with. Does the advice change any after seeing them?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #8

Elegant Boxwoods

that planter will restrict the actual size of it over the years might need to get it into the ground so the root system can grow.then when you trim it the root support will be better.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #9

Elegant Boxwoods

I plan on keeping them in the planters for my lifetime. Just looking how to get the full like these.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Elegant Boxwoods

As mentioned, you may have to pull them and root prune periodically. What that period is will depend on how fast they get pot bound.

Otherwise, regular and appropriate feeding with a balanced fertilizer will encourage regular growth.

As soon as you can, prune out any branches that are crossing over each other, etc. Make sure you keep the plants open so light can get to the leaves. Let them get a little lanky looking before racing to prune them to shape.

Last edited by user1007; 07-24-2012 at 09:34 PM.