Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #1

Share |

Electric pole tree saw

I expect this topic could go on the tool forum but seeing it is used as a
yard tool I'm here !
Has anyone bought and / or used an electric 9 to 10 foot powered tree saw I see an electric Homlite on the market.
How good does it work and I expect to cut no more then 6" dia. branches
to thin out a Box Elder tree . This is one of those tools one would not use a whole lot so I expect to pay about $100.00 dollars tops.

Deck hand

deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #2

Electric pole tree saw

Personally, I would stay away from electric tree trimming ideas. Your gas-powered tools are safer & easier to handle. You might also get two or three quotes from a certified arborist in your area. Might save you the hassle of buying a tool you will only use very little.

ckliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckliff View Post
Personally, I would stay away from electric tree trimming ideas. Your gas-powered tools are safer & easier to handle. You might also get two or three quotes from a certified arborist in your area. Might save you the hassle of buying a tool you will only use very little.
Thanks
I did buy the trimmer I was able to trim about twenty 1" to 3 " branches
It did exactly the small job I wanted the tool to do. A tree trimming company gave a quote starting at $350.00
I did the same job in less then 40 min. I admit the clean up was a hassle but the exercise was good for my old. bod.

Thanks
Deck hand
deck hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #4

Electric pole tree saw

I actually use my sawzall & a ladder to trim lower braches
If the blade gets stuck its easy to pop it out & put a new blade in
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #5

Electric pole tree saw

I have a little Remmington electric chain saw on an extension pole and I think it works great! The only issue I had is that the oil cap broke on its first use when it smacked something too hard.

But for trimming hard to reach branches on trees I love it. Most work I can do on the ground.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
dIYHell

Electric pole tree saw

works great especially for its price. My father in law bought one and used it for trimming all his maples, I have borrowed it plus all the other members of my family.
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #7

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
I have a little Remmington electric chain saw on an extension pole and I think it works great! The only issue I had is that the oil cap broke on its first use when it smacked something too hard.

But for trimming hard to reach branches on trees I love it. Most work I can do on the ground.
I have a small branch 25' directly above that is otherwise inaccessible and I'm considering fastening my Remington elec. saw to a pole.
What do you use for a pole?
Is this distance practical?
How do you work the oiler?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #8

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post

Yup, I have a Remington like this as well - works great.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #9

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
I have a small branch 25' directly above that is otherwise inaccessible and I'm considering fastening my Remington elec. saw to a pole.
What do you use for a pole?
Is this distance practical?
How do you work the oiler?
I think the remington he is reffering comes on a pole already, there is a bracket and it is all tied together in a factory.

Do you have a picture?

In my experience none of the power pole saws - electricity or gas

What type of tree?

Considered calling a local tree care company?

Do you have a large A frame ladder or access to one.

Can you lean an extension ladder against the tree safely or some other structure near the branch. You say not easy to get too, i think a picture would help.
canyonbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #10

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbc View Post
I think the remington he is reffering comes on a pole already, there is a bracket and it is all tied together in a factory.

Do you have a picture?

In my experience none of the power pole saws - electricity or gas

What type of tree?

Considered calling a local tree care company?

Do you have a large A frame ladder or access to one.

Can you lean an extension ladder against the tree safely or some other structure near the branch. You say not easy to get too, i think a picture would help.
I ended up making a 3 section 25' pole to loop the chain cutter [from Sears] over the branch; it worked pretty well.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #11

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
I ended up making a 3 section 25' pole to loop the chain cutter [from Sears] over the branch; it worked pretty well.
Really, maybe I am thinking of something different.

It comes with a rope on both ends and has a chain saw type chain in the middle and you throw it over and pull back and forth to saw the branch???

Or is it something different.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #12

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
It comes with a rope on both ends and has a chain saw type chain in the middle and you throw it over and pull back and forth to saw the branch???
Yes, that's what I used.
The problem was that there were so many small branches in the way I never could have thrown the weight over the main branch where I wanted it.
So I made use of several pieces of scrap quarter round from the basement to make a foldable long pole to fish the weight over the branch exactly where I wanted it.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #13

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Yes, that's what I used.
The problem was that there were so many small branches in the way I never could have thrown the weight over the main branch where I wanted it.
So I made use of several pieces of scrap quarter round from the basement to make a foldable long pole to fish the weight over the branch exactly where I wanted it.
Glad to here, for future knowledge or if you have other branches. There are throw weights, little bean bags with a metal ring on that you tie a light rope to and over the branch.

Arborist use this all the time to put are climb line in.

A lot of lawnmower shops will cary this.

They come together in a package.

or there are a lot of online companies.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #14

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
Glad to here, for future knowledge or if you have other branches. There are throw weights, little bean bags with a metal ring on that you tie a light rope to and over the branch.

Arborist use this all the time to put are climb line in.

A lot of lawnmower shops will cary this.

They come together in a package.

or there are a lot of online companies.
The throw weight that came with the cutter would not have worked by itself. My pitching is not that accurate when throwing straight up and the many small branches interfered.

In principle all these things work great but I am continually amazed that somehow, in practice, there is always something preventing the thing from working as advertised.

One time I almost bought one of those giant slingshots to launch the weight, but I don't do that much tree work. And almost all the books and videos on tree work start with "In memory of. . ."
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #15

Electric pole tree saw

Quote:
The throw weight that came with the cutter would not have worked by itself. My pitching is not that accurate when throwing straight up and the many small branches interfered.

In principle all these things work great but I am continually amazed that somehow, in practice, there is always something preventing the thing from working as advertised.

One time I almost bought one of those giant slingshots to launch the weight, but I don't do that much tree work. And almost all the books and videos on tree work start with "In memory of. . ."
Yes, a lot of them do. It is sad, it is a great industry can not really be too safe.

I am in the tree care industry professionally, and let me tell ya the Big Shot, wow they work great, I can shoot over branches over 80' with enough under brush clearance.

Did you try the cradle throw??? or google search how to throw a throw weight.

I like to pinch up about 3 feet above the throw weight and make a slip knot. Then I toss it back and forth like I was going to toss you a bean bag, and then bam on up.

If you like to read and like a good over few I would highly recommend two books.

Tree Climbers Companion (Shorter)

(One of my favorite books) - Fundamentals of General Tree Work by G.F. Bernak

Hope this helps.