Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #1

Share |

Electric Chainsaw Recommendations ?

Can anyone recommend an electric chainsaw 4hp 18 inch in the $100 -$125 range ?

Thanks
Tony

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #2

don't do it. this saw retails for $179 and will last you a LONG time a do a LOT more than any electric every would

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS170.html

racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
And Still Learning

I second the DONT do it. The proper size cord to operate it will cost "BIG".
The key to a happy chain saw is to empty the gas tank before you store it.
I've been an echo fan since 1982. Echo is the most bang for the buck.
Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know It ALL View Post
I second the DONT do it. The proper size cord to operate it will cost "BIG".
The key to a happy chain saw is to empty the gas tank before you store it.
I've been an echo fan since 1982. Echo is the most bang for the buck.
Interesting.

I have a Husqvarna chain saw that has more than earned its cost.

I left it alone for at least 1 year, with gas, and recently got around to cleaning it out. When I opened up the case, the gas fumes and pressure in the chamber caused some to leak into the case.

Emptying out the old gas and putting in some fresh gas/oil mixture, it started up like a charm.

I think using 93 octane with your oil mixture offers a big difference in ease of startup.

Given all this, I recommend a gas chain saw over an electric model anyday.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

I have both. Sometimes, an electric is perfect. No mess. Low noise. Easy to start. No maintenance (save sharpening). My mother has an electric and is perfect for some minor branch trimming and occasional cutting of logs.

Still, I think the points about extension cords and the better capabilities of the gas units are well made. My gut reaction is to suspect that four horsepower out of 120V electric outlets is a bit much to ask for. My perception, also, is that the gas-powered units have more power than you can get from a typical electric powered unit.

As for fuel maintenance, I have simply developed the habit of adding fuel stabilizer always. I leave fuel in my engines (mowers, blowers, throwers) all year long. This has worked well for me.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

A 4HP motor is equivalent to 3KW. At 120V, 3KW draws 25A, which means you would need a circuit fed by #10 wire, not the standard #12 wire circuits in your house. Alternatively, you could run the saw at 240 volts and only draw 12.5A, however this would limit you to 240 volt outlets, eliminating the convenience factor.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
the Musigician

I mainly use a small Stihl in the woods, a high performance Dolmar (excellent saw) for larger jobs and for working INSIDE the woodshed, I have a cutting table set up and use a 14 amp electric. I go into the woods and 'branch'.... we pick up fallen branches between 2 and 6 inches thick, cut them in 6' or so sections, then bring them to the shed to finish up where it's warmer and out of the cold/snow/blizzards..... sometimes I'll drop dead trees too, but the older I get, the smaller the pieces seem to be cut. lol

DM
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #8

It's a challenge to get 4hp out of an extention cord. I don't know the formula for amps to horses, but I have a saw that pulls 12 amps with a 16" bar. I paid $79.00 plus another $30 for the 14 gauge 100 foot power cord to get the power to it. The smaller 14" version pulls 9 amps and costs under $50. The 100' power cord for that one is a 16 gauge that most people already own. If you can use a 50 foot cord, you don't need anything heavier than 16 gauge, even for the larger saw.
Electric chainsaws store more easily and my saw sits unused for months at a time.
LawnRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #9

4hp is getting to be a stout saw. stihl and husky are probably the two most popular saws i've seen in my area and i live in oregon. that show "ax men" on history has been filmed not far from where i live. you'll see the same thing there. lota stihl and a lot of husqvarna saws. that little $179 stihl i linked above is their baby saw and only makes 1.7hp but is more than enough for branch trimming and project work. parts are also available which is another factor in quality brands. they stay serviceable
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
I have both. Sometimes, an electric is perfect. No mess. Low noise. Easy to start. No maintenance (save sharpening). My mother has an electric and is perfect for some minor branch trimming and occasional cutting of logs.

Still, I think the points about extension cords and the better capabilities of the gas units are well made. My gut reaction is to suspect that four horsepower out of 120V electric outlets is a bit much to ask for. My perception, also, is that the gas-powered units have more power than you can get from a typical electric powered unit.

As for fuel maintenance, I have simply developed the habit of adding fuel stabilizer always. I leave fuel in my engines (mowers, blowers, throwers) all year long. This has worked well for me.
There's nothing more manly than hearing the buzz of a gas chainsaw (with a new chain) as it slices through wood like a hot knife through butter.

Chain saws are supposed to make a lot of noise. That's what ear mufflers are for.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
There's nothing more manly than hearing the buzz of a gas chainsaw (with a new chain) as it slices through wood like a hot knife through butter.
Almost as good as a sharp handplane through some straight-grained cherry boards. You are correct. What was I thinking. Where is my ear protection!?

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote