Electric Chainsaw - Is This A Good Idea? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Electric chainsaw - is this a good idea?

I have a decent amount of small trees (4" trunk diameter) that I will be cutting down in addition to a bigger amount of branches that need to be trimmed off other trees. I started w/ an "old shcool saw" a few weeks ago but it gets old real quick....

SO I stumbled over an electric chainsaw the other day at Sears. Has anyone used one of these? I mean the obvious advantage seems to be that you avoid the maintenance of an internal combusion engine and the downside is probably that you don't get as much power (the small trees is the only reason I am considering it)

Advertisement

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Avoid the wimpy 9amp ones for sure. I found older ones (yard sales, CL, etc.) work better, are cheaper, and will STILL probably last longer than a new crappy one made in or with parts from...you know where. I use a 14amp one and with a sharp blade, it rocks for firewood. AND I can use it INSIDE the woodshed in the middle of winter.

DM

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
I have a decent amount of small trees (4" trunk diameter) that I will be cutting down in addition to a bigger amount of branches that need to be trimmed off other trees. I started w/ an "old shcool saw" a few weeks ago but it gets old real quick....

SO I stumbled over an electric chainsaw the other day at Sears. Has anyone used one of these? I mean the obvious advantage seems to be that you avoid the maintenance of an internal combusion engine and the downside is probably that you don't get as much power (the small trees is the only reason I am considering it)
If your doing smaller branches a Sawzall with a sharp blade works well. I cut about a 20" limb with my Sawzall with a 15" blade. That took some time. But 1"-4" are quite easy and fast with a good blade. Not as fast as a chain saw by any means, but the Sawzall is highly reliable and I feel is safer to climb up in trees with.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Got the $49 one last Xmas, have yet to use it. It's light so I should be able to safely use this with one hand, over my head, while I'm strapped to the ladder.
I also have a gas model and a 3' bowsaw.

For current draws less than 13A you can use a #16 AWG ext. cord, depending on the length you need. Aim for a 5% or less voltage drop at rated saw current.

http://www.google.com/images?client=...N&hl=en&tab=wi

http://getrescuetraining.com/fallprotection/middy.jpg

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-16-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I have one I purchased at WalMart many years ago and it has always exceeded my expectations. Cuts like a champ and will cut anything up to the length of the bar. Maybe a little slower than a honking big gas model but worth every penny.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Arkansas View Post
I have one I purchased at WalMart many years ago and it has always exceeded my expectations. Cuts like a champ and will cut anything up to the length of the bar. Maybe a little slower than a honking big gas model but worth every penny.
And some of them may put DC into the motor to brake it when the switch is off so they are probably safer than these gas saws that can cut through your femoral artery and your femur pretty quickly.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
the Musigician

I use a small Stihl, a BIG Dolmar in the woods and an electric in the shed. I made a gift of a newer one the wife bought to a friend when another friend gave me an older, more powerful one. He uses the wimpy one for branches and brush and has never complained to me about it. In fact, he still thanks me by bringing me his worn blades to sharpen for him. Po)

DM
Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

My wife asked to use my "real" chainsaw this year to trim back some trees which may have had at least 3"--4" branches. I told her "NO, you'll put your eye out". She happened to be at a big box store and saw an electric chain saw and bought it. She has trimmed more limbs, old trees back which had multiple trunks, than ever before. One neighbor asked me to not let her in his yard with her new toy. Less time fussing at me, more time working in the yard. I'd have to say--IF there's a HER involved, buy HER one. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
the Musigician

Good point indeed! I find the wife in the woodshed every once in a while happily sawing branches down to size!
She enjoys it....

DM
Old 07-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,276

For yard maintenance they are great. Dangermouse is 100% right!
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #11

I bought an electric chainsaw, did not last long
Might be something simple to fix...haven't looked at it

Since it died I have been using my sawzall - for about 3 years now
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

You know... I never thought about using the sawzall .... that just might be a simple way to save $50!!!!!

I'm gonna try it tomorrow!

I cut some more the "old-school way" today ... it got old real quick, so I started scrubbing the siding instead...
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #13

there are better brands of electric saws out there too

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...ls.aspx?ID=336
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #14

Stihl doesn't like DIYers; you can't get parts lists, etc., at least for their gas leaf blowers.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I was cutting down a tree for my parents with my buck saw while the neighbor was trying to get his chainsaw started, then he decided to use a sawzall, and wow, does that ever go well. I would actually buy a good sawzall and some long blades over a chainsaw just for the simplicity and convinience - no gas or oil to worry about.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
jamiedolan (07-18-2010)