Edge Trimmer/fence Posts - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Edge trimmer/fence posts

My landscapers when they trim around my fence are hacking the hell out of my cedar fence posts, I know more care should be taken, but most lawn people get in and get out, is their anything I can put around the bottom of the posts to protect them from the weed wacker?

Advertisement

turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Edge trimmer/fence posts

I have seen people use pieces of the light weight metal lawn edging around fence posts for that exact purpose.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Edge trimmer/fence posts

When I install fence posts I keep this in mind and put a border of concrete or even tamped down gravel one or two inches around. In other words, if you set posts in concrete, pour it all the way to the top. I usually pour it just a little above grade and smooth it to grade away from the posts. If you look closely, you can see the concrete or if you prefer, pour it at grade. Better than having to gouge the posts, etc. As far as the gravel, I don't mean leave it so high that it will pick up with weedeaters. Tamping it down good will discourage most growth and trimming will be minimal.

In your case, you could just dig out a collar and fill with concrete or gravel.

That's just how I do it.