Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

dug retaining wall trench too deep...help

I am building a retaining wall, where at the most it will be 3 feet high and lest 6 inches. My question is I started at the lowest elevation first but I got a little over zealous and have about 10 feet long where I went to deep. As it stands I would have about 8 inches of base where I need 4. Should I build back up the 4 inches with loose dirt and stamp it hard or would having the 8 inches of base ( #7 gravel ) stamped to down be better for the duribilty of the wall? I guess I could go a little lower and add another level but I then it would bug me if I didnt know the answer..lol. basically is there such thing as too much base material?

chosen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

If you are building a concrete block wall, just add crushed stone or clean gravel to bring the bottom of the trench to the correct elevation. I don't know what #7 gravel is, that must be a local term, but if it is clean gravel it will work fine.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

sorry, yeah it is a local term i believe. It is what the company i got the retaining wall blocks from called it and recommended for the job. It is the dry stack blocks, the ones with the lip on it. they are 16"Wx6"Lx12"D, 70 pound suckers. I just wanted to make sure I did the right thing for the mistake. thanks for the qucik reply.
chosen25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You could backfill with dirt and compact it again but the gravel would be a better bet. The gravel will make it easier to level your blocks too so at least your mistake puts you on the positive side of things.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

chosen -

Just use a little more compacted base to bring it up, since the extra base thickness would not detrimental. Just make sure the surface of the compacted base is level. If the first layer of block is not level, it jets to be a problem later.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote