Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
CareBear

Rewards Points: 25

Are drip systems any good?

I am about to redo my small (12' x 30') front yard landscape. A friend of mine who tends to be right about a lot of things says that drip irrigation systems are weak and problematic and I should just get regular sprinklers and simply use them efficiently.

CareBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
I do know some things

Rewards Points: 10

Are drip systems any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareBear View Post
I am about to redo my small (12' x 30') front yard landscape. A friend of mine who tends to be right about a lot of things says that drip irrigation systems are weak and problematic and I should just get regular sprinklers and simply use them efficiently.

Its all up to your definition of "problematic"

They do require proper design, proper installation and proper equipment...just as a regular system would.

I just designed and installed a system for my home. We have a bedspace that is almost the size of yours. I did both. Drip on the foundation shrub/trees and pop ups on the annual space. They dont overlap because of the layout and spacing...just my example.

I did make sure I used good quality drip tubing(netafim/rainbird) valve, psi regulator, Y strainer and installed flush caps on the end runs.

What "problems" do i expect...none really that would deter me. I will have to check the Y strainer for debris every few weeks, as well as flush out the lines via the flush caps. That is about 5 mins work each and just a twist of the wrist.

What will i pay close attention to with a drip system? Ill check the soil moisture around the rootzone of the shrubs, and adjust the controller accordingly.

I know this is long but what it boils down to is what is acceptable to you. I personally like drip, it saves water and is effective if designed and maintained properly....just like a regular sprinkler system.

EDIT:you can look thru this thread, also just noticed that SECO and yourself are both in CA, maybe he will chime in and provide more info. landscape irrigation system drip tubing

Last edited by swade; 07-08-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added link
swade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drip, irrigation, sprinklers