Draining Low Spot In The Yard - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Draining low spot in the yard

Hello all,

I just moved into a new home 2 months ago, and I have had a standing water issue in the very back of my yard. I have a 1/2 acre lot, about 240' deep, and there is a creek at the very back of my yard. The creek is probably about 20' wide, and depending on the amount of rain we have can vary from about 1' to 10' deep.

My yard has a generous slope, so my home was built with a walkout basement. The yard was cut away behind the house so the yard is relatively level behind the house. It drops off a few feet about 50' behind the house, where my sump pump lets out. From there it is 100' to the edge of the creek, sloping down about halfway, where the yard is somewhat bowl shaped.

Currently all of the rainwater runoff from the front and backyard collects in the "bowl", as does all of the water the sump pump evacuates. The sump goes off every 15 min or so, creating a considerable amount of water.

My plan is to run a trench and extend my sump pump outlet to the creek to prevent that water from filling the bowl. However, that does not alleviate my rainwater issues. Because the area is so large, grading is out of the question because it is such a large undertaking. It would require very large equipment an a considerable amount of fill dirt to grade it properly. So I am left with the prospect of draining the low area to the creek. I was thinking of placing a sewer grate of sorts in the center of the low spot, connected to 4' perforated pipe laid in a trench with pea gravel, and running the pipe in a downward slope to the creek. Does this sound like a decent plan? Looking for some feedback. Thanks

Advertisement

1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995droptopz View Post
Hello all,

I just moved into a new home 2 months ago, and I have had a standing water issue in the very back of my yard. I have a 1/2 acre lot, about 240' deep, and there is a creek at the very back of my yard. The creek is probably about 20' wide, and depending on the amount of rain we have can vary from about 1' to 10' deep.

My yard has a generous slope, so my home was built with a walkout basement. The yard was cut away behind the house so the yard is relatively level behind the house. It drops off a few feet about 50' behind the house, where my sump pump lets out. From there it is 100' to the edge of the creek, sloping down about halfway, where the yard is somewhat bowl shaped.

Currently all of the rainwater runoff from the front and backyard collects in the "bowl", as does all of the water the sump pump evacuates. The sump goes off every 15 min or so, creating a considerable amount of water.

My plan is to run a trench and extend my sump pump outlet to the creek to prevent that water from filling the bowl. However, that does not alleviate my rainwater issues. Because the area is so large, grading is out of the question because it is such a large undertaking. It would require very large equipment an a considerable amount of fill dirt to grade it properly. So I am left with the prospect of draining the low area to the creek. I was thinking of placing a sewer grate of sorts in the center of the low spot, connected to 4' perforated pipe laid in a trench with pea gravel, and running the pipe in a downward slope to the creek. Does this sound like a decent plan? Looking for some feedback. Thanks
Ayuh,... That plan would probably work Ok,....

Can ya move the low-side "Rim" of the bowl, Up into the low spot, creatin' steady downward grade,..??
If yer gonna dig a trench for the pipin', just dig it wider, creatin' a swale, movin' yer waste dirt up into the lowest spots in the bowl,....
Use yer dug dirt to reshape the slope to a continuous drop to the stream,...
Also,...
Dependin' on where ya are, laws dealin' with run-off into creeks can be a problem of it own, especially, Pumpin' it into a creek,...
If it just drains that way, nobody seems to care,...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Your state and county natural resources folks might have specific limitations on what can or can't be done near that creek. You might want to check.

As for grading, why fill the bowl? Why not just lower the creek-side high edge, using that material to raise the lowest part? But, again, take care to check on what permitting might be required. Get it wrong and the bureaucracy will eat you alive.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

We do not have storm sewers in my neighborhood, and the site plan shows drainage ditch easements in my yard leading from the front yard to the creek. So if I divert my rainwater to this same area, this would be part of the plan. I think the issue is that somewhere along the way somebody messed with the grade and created this issue.
1995droptopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Be careful about changing anything where and easment has been set up. I'd want to be sure about whether it's ok to do anything, beforehand. Some jurisdictions are VERY touchy about established water management easments.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote