Drainage Question (french Drain/leaching Pit) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drainage Question (french drain/leaching pit)

I have a sump pump that drains out onto my front lawn throught a 1.5" PVC pipe. It works well but drains out into the lawn and is eroding the soil away (the downspout drains into the same general area).

My thought was to put in a French drain and run the PVC pipe from the sump into the French drain and that will stop the erosion and hide the ugly pipe in the front yard.

The problem; it is difficult for the French drain to surface or "see the light" at the end from the way it is graded. If I was to make this happen it would be up against the sidewalk at the front of the lawn and would not have the look I am going for (grass).

The question; can I build a French drain without having come back out onto the surface - somewhat of a leaching trench. What is the best solution so that the pipe does not back up into the pit due to lack of place to go. (Hard clay underground).

Advertisement

tmac001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

How much soil is being eroded? Year round? Seasonal run off? Location? Water table height?
The purpose of a french drain and drywell is to provide a large surface (storage) area for water to be dispersed into the surrounding soil. All the water that enters them must leave. Hard clay will not absorb water and I believe you will have to somehow daylight the pipe. Without knowing more, I believe your options would include:
How is the backyard soil / slope? Could run your sump to exit to the back.
Ask your town for an easement to dump your sump and downspout water directly into the storm drain (under sidewalk, through curb).

From the research I've done, you should not use a landscape fabric to seperate stone and clay. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

Mike

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #3
Get er done

Rewards Points: 25

I see a lot of people that run the pipe out to the road. Also like the other responder mentioned, running it out the curb if you have a sidewalk in from of your house.

You should call your City public works dept. and ask if they would make a 6" wide saw cut across the sidewalk and curb so you could run you pipe threw. Won't hurt to ask.

Good luck.

Kelly
kbrena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drainage , french drain , leaching , sump