Drainage Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drainage Question

I performed a search on drainage, but could not find anything similar to my situation.

I have a "L" shaped home with the bottom of the "L" being the garage. In the corner of the "L" between the garage and home is a 10' x 4' flower bed with clay after about 2-3' deep. This flower bed is surrounded on all four sides (brick wall on two sides, concrete driveway on two sides). After moderate to heavy rains, this bed becomes flooded with water which remains for several days.

I have been researching possibilities to improve drainage but am still unsure on how to proceed. Piping is not an option since bed is surrounded by concrete driveway/walls. Catching roof run-off via a gutter system is the best solution I can think of, but even that may not remove enough water from the bed to keep it from flooding (plus I am not a big fan of roof gutters).

Does anyone have any additional thoughts on solving my draining problem? Let me know if a photo of the flower bed layout/position would help and I will attach one tonight. Thanks!

Advertisement

bassaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Drainage Question

Definitely gutters that discharge outside the bed is the best way to begin to bring the problem under control. That may be all you need.

Advertisement

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Drainage Question

" Piping is not an option since bed is surrounded by concrete driveway/walls."

Wrong. Piping is the only way you will solve this problem. Start by making a base map of your property with elevations included. Use the drawing to plan the piping so you don't create a worst problem somewhere else.
pls8xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 586

Drainage Question

Rain Garden. You'd have to dig the clay area down a bit and fill back with sand and rock. You can google them to see if it would work for you. It is about the best solution without dealing with trenching and piping. They do recommend not to use in areas that are clay or drain poorly, but if you dig down enough (maybe 12-18") you might be able to make something work.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

Drainage Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pls8xx View Post
" Piping is not an option since bed is surrounded by concrete driveway/walls."

Wrong. Piping is the only way you will solve this problem. Start by making a base map of your property with elevations included. Use the drawing to plan the piping so you don't create a worst problem somewhere else.
LOL, this reminds me of that old saying that NASA spent millions of dollars trying to invent a pen that would work in zero gravity. The Russians used a pencil. I don't know if this is true or not but it is an example of how the simplest solution is often the best one.

And Gutters are clearly the cheapest solution and may significantly reduce or even eliminate the water in the flower bed. Unless of course most of the water in the flower bed is runoff from the driveways. Could that be an issue too?

And why don't you believe in gutters?

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 05-05-2009 at 01:14 PM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

Drainage Question

Man, you need gutters. They've been one of the best investments I think I've done in my house, good ones (I'd get aluninum you can rest ladders on) aren't expensive, the vinyl ones get brittle and can shatter especially in winter. After putting them on, I've got no more erosion around my house, less humidity in my basement, and water pouring off the roof no longer "splashes" up onto my house (which caused the wood on the outside to rot and I got carpenter ants and had to rip it all out). Honestly, I wished it was the first thing I added to my house.

There's not much you can do otherwise, clay doesn't let water penetrate quickly so it's just a matter of time the bed fills up you gotta stop the water from filling the bed. Gutters will do it, and move the water away from your house at the same time.

Advertisement

Last edited by Piedmont; 05-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote