Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Share |

Drainage problems...good solution?

We live in an area with a lot of underground streams and tons of ponds. In fact, there used to be a farm pond 1/2 block down the hill. When we bought the house we experienced some water in our crawl space originating from a high point of the property. Didn't make sense so I found the downspout wasn't connected and the gardens were flat and almost graded towards the house. This solved most of the problem but I want a 110% fix. I am about to redo the side yard and am thinking of the following:

1) I already removed all bushes.
2) I will take the garden from about 18" to 2 1/2 feet and grade away from house.
3) I am thinking about digging the edge of the garden towards the grass down 2-3' and install stone for added drainage.
4) I am already routing the downspouts away from this area. I plan on also putting this stone where it ends and actually putting stone all the way up to the ground level for added drainage.

Questions:

1) Sound good?
2) How deep should the stone be?
3) How much stone do I use?
4) Is this total overkill and should I forget it?

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Are you just trying to eliminate water in your crawl space or eliminate moisture elsewhere?

!. Bushes do not collect water, but the soil will.

2. Moving the garden out a foot does nothing if you water the garden.

3. Digging down will do little especially if you have stones, since they do not stop water. A poly layer under the rock will help if it sloped away and there is a way for the water to drain away from the house.

4. Adding extensions to your downspouts is very productive if they are long (8'+) enough and carry water far enough away so it will drain away from the house.

One solution is to dig a small pond in the impervious soil you have, drain the runoff to it, stock it and then go fishing.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
DIY Expert in Training!

Just to clarify...the rocks will be about 2 1/2' from the house and about 2' under ground level. I will add soil and mulch to slope from the house. The 2 downspouts have extensions that push from the house 4'. I was thinking that any water that gets into the garden will hit the rocks and sink quickly. Is this not necessary?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
We live in an area with a lot of underground streams and tons of ponds.
My first guess is that you generally have a high water table and I wonder how well you plan will work. Without that concern, I think that it could.

I have to echo CM's question as to what your goal is- crawl space or elsewhere?

Perhaps scooping out (excavating, if you prefer) a rain garden. If you are not familiar with that, it's basically a small retention pond with plants that can withstand somewhat extremes of wet and dry. They can handle temporary flooding as well as dry spells. The plants will filter out the water as it drains slowly back into the lower soil.

A quick Google will explain more clearly perhaps.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
DIY Expert in Training!

I am just trying to avoid moisture in the crawlspace and also upgrade the side yard.