DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drainage problem - Rain Barrel?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Leah Frances 
#1 ·
My brick basement was infiltrated by the roots of several yew trees (Last homeowner cut them from 35 feet tall down to 5 feet tall last year: it killed them). Now whenever it rains, water comes in where the roots do.

I need to wait until spring until I can trench and install proper drainage. (I have to jackhammer up a concrete apron first :censored:).

Any thoughts on using a rain barrel with some sort of overflow to stem the tide until I can undertake the 'big dig'?

I know water is still likely to travel down the roots, but I thought if I could slow it down and relocate it's output it might help.

#3 ·
It's 200 year-old mortar. I am reluctant to use hydraulic lime, I've read it will eventually pop off the lime mortar.

When warmer and dryer weather returns I am going to trench down the foundation, add a sealant and add rigid insulation. Did I mention I have to remove the 15 dead yew stumps along with the concrete (ug!). Hell, it's just labor, right?

#5 ·
I have a gutter extender. Currently it is around six feet long and empties into the low part of the yard (I know). In order to move the run-off into a 'different' drainage area I would have to extend it around 20 feet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.