Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Drainage plan

So I posted a previous topic about what to use for a drain. I was initially going to go PVC until I had my local utilities marked. It turns out there are right smack where I wanted to dig. I decided a safer idea may be a dry creek bed to let the water flow in. I have attached a few pictures. The utilities are in red/orange. The white line is a proposed area I wanted to make a raised flower bed around the garage. As you can see from these recent pictures, any heavy rain causes a problem. I need this to run around the garage to the shed. Any input on what I can do with where the utilities are?

Here is the old thread with other pictures. Sorry for the angle of the first picture, it was raining and I wanted to get it all in the shot.

Type of PVC for my drain
Attached Thumbnails
Drainage plan-img_0898.jpg   Drainage plan-img_0897.jpg  

DTZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #2

Drainage plan

What utilities are marked in red? Did they say approx how deep they are buried?

Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Drainage plan

The only utilities I the area are power (red) and cable/phone (orange). They did not mention to me how deep they were.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

Drainage plan

Put in a stone walk between the red and white lines. If you can slope it, bury perf white pvc in the walk and pitch it to daylight. Water will hit the walk, and then follow the pipe.

Where does the downspout in pic 1 drain?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Drainage plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47
Put in a stone walk between the red and white lines. If you can slope it, bury perf white pvc in the walk and pitch it to daylight. Water will hit the walk, and then follow the pipe.

Where does the downspout in pic 1 drain?
It just dumps out behind the trash can. There is also one at the back. If I put a drain and walk there I will have to cross the utilities as they go around the back. I know I don't have to go deep to do this but would you think I would encounter any problems down 6 inches?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #6

Drainage plan

Electric should be deeper than you need to go, the cable / phone are usually just below the surface.

I'd remove 6" of dirt / fill from your path. Slope (V) the bottom of the path and place your 4" perf pipe in the low part of the V on top of 2-4" of #2 stone.

You could run that front downspout into this pipe or direct it onto the driveway. Don't just leave it discharge into your bed.

You should be able to get enough slack in the phone line to reroute it over / under your pipe if needed.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Drainage plan

Is drainage alone going to solve your problem or do you have to do some regrading?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Drainage plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Is drainage alone going to solve your problem or do you have to do some regrading?
No drainage will solve it. Water collects down the side of my driveway and flows across the ground around the back yard. Debris under the trees slows the flow down. Also the ground has a lot of clay so it makes a river effect across my back yard to the shed. With the grade I believe if I get it off the surface I will be fine.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #9

Drainage plan

So I finally have the trench dug around the garage and the retaining wall blocks will be here soon. A quick question. I am going to put a perforated PVC pipe under the gravel walk around the garage. Should I put some type of membrane under the gravel and over the ground to keep soil out of the pipe?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #10

Drainage plan

Covering a concrete porch with wood provides a warmer, cozier feel. It is also a good way to cover up peeling paint, slight chipping and discolored concrete.

woodlandpatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #11

Drainage plan

First nice view. It depends if your trying to get away with the cheapest or fastest or keep your grass? You could grade the low spots to slope away from your home more or dig drainage trenches or what 47-47 said go with a stone pathway with a drain under it.
Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #12

Drainage plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatertot
First nice view. It depends if your trying to get away with the cheapest or fastest or keep your grass? You could grade the low spots to slope away from your home more or dig drainage trenches or what 47-47 said go with a stone pathway with a drain under it.
I am going to go with a stone pathway. U already have the path dug and I am going to put a 4" pipe in the bottom. Should I put a membrane under the stone and pipe to keep the clay muck out of the pipe?
Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #13

Drainage plan

Yes. Wrap the entire drain in a membrane to help keep the pipe clean... Rocks should surround the pipe.

Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote