Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:40 AM   #1

Share |

Drainage issues and water in the basement

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jfatica/Drainage_problems

I have a good idea of what I plan to do to relieve this drainage issue, but I am curious as to what other ideas people may have.

I plan to run two french drains away from the house to the street, and possibly into a drywell. I need to even out the grade against the foundation between the window-wells. I'll probably remove those bricks around the trees to hopefully increase the flow of water away from the house.

Thoughts, ideas?

diskman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

First, get some decent length downspout extensions. Right now you are just dumping the roof water next to the house.

When you say "french drains", what type do you mean.

Are you considering deep tile at the footing depth (inside or outside) or just some shallow interceptor-type parallel to the house and then running toward the street?

It looks like the frost was still in the ground when the pictures were taken or you have impermeable soil (clay like). If you have impermeable soil, you could easily fill a drywell unless it is very large.

How much slope do you have to the street/gutter?

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #3

I was just planning on two drains perpendicular to the wall (parallel with the garage). I was planning on going down pretty deep (3 or 4 feet), the basement is only about 5.5 feet tall from the top of the window to the floor, and I'm not sure if a footer exists or not (house was built in 1906).

Was gonna use 3 or 4 inch pipe covered in cloth, then stone, then enough top soil on top to grow grass.

The slope from the house to the street is not much but there is a slight slope. Not sure if you can tell form the pics, but there are some low spots (almost like grooves) between the house and the street where the water pools.

That is the only downspout on that side of the house, but I was definitely planning to extend that as well.

The front side of the house (not pictured) has the gutters run underground to the street where they come out a little hole in the curb and drain to the sewer. Unfortunately, this side of the house does not have a curb on the street and no sewer close by.
diskman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jfatica/Drainage_problems

I have a good idea of what I plan to do to relieve this drainage issue, but I am curious as to what other ideas people may have.

I plan to run two french drains away from the house to the street, and possibly into a drywell. I need to even out the grade against the foundation between the window-wells. I'll probably remove those bricks around the trees to hopefully increase the flow of water away from the house.

Thoughts, ideas?
I would install a french drain, drywell, daylight drain and incorporate your downspout into the plan.

The french drain will be along the perimiter of the foundation, doesn't need to be too deep. extend that to a drywell next to street. The drywell should have an overflow at the lowest spot near the street. They make pop-up outlets for this. Also extend your downspouts to the drywell. Of course make sure your grade is sloped away from the house.

I have this with a just below grade french drain and a footer drain. In very heavy rains my drywell gets saturated and overflows but is away from the house and continues to flow away. I also have a waterproof membrane against the foundation. basement is bone dry.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #5

I agree. The French drain will do wonders, assuming it's installed correctly.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote