Drainage Issue In Low Lying Area - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drainage issue in low lying area

Hi all,
I have an area at the back corner of my small back yard that fills with water when it rains. The area is where 3 back yards, mine included, converge. The low area is probably about 200 square feet, but only about 100 square feet is ever inundated with water and the standing water is about 8 inches deep at the deepest point. The low area is quite low compared to the rest of the yard (probably 3 feet deeper than the rest of the yard). This issue does not have an impact on my foundation.

I don't know of a good option to completely eliminate the water. The standard option of putting in a catch basin and diverting to another area of the yard would be very difficult. It would require a 100 foot long, 2-3 foot deep trench trench to the front yard, with numerous trees in the way. Builiding up would put all the water in the neighbors yard.

My question is: Does it make sense to simply put in a catch basin at the lowest spot, put a grate on top to capture some of the water, and let it percolate into the soil. There would be no drainage pipe involved. If that make sense, any ideas on how wide/deep the basin should be and how to construct it (i.e should I put crushed rock around the perimeter?). I guess this would be like the end of a drywell, but with no pipe feeding it water, rather the water coming in from the top. Not sure if this is a waste of time, or if it might help the problem.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement

tbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

Can not see your yard from here, can you post a picture?
If there's no place for it to drain the catch basin then it's a waste of time.
Raising the grade may be your bet option.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Ayuh,.... I'd just fill it in with dirt, 'n let the next lower lot deal with it,...

When those lots were raised, they created yer problem, so give it back to whom ever started the issue,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the replies. I'll get a picture up tonight
tbick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Quick-Home-Buyers

Rewards Points: 10

Another great way to change the negative to a positive is create a dry wash with rock gravel. ending at the bottom with more gravel. so when it fills with water it will seep through and at least keep it from getting muddy and ugly.
QuickHomeBuyers is offline   Reply With Quote