Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Green Hat

Rewards Points: 150

Drainage ditch, round 2.........

Hey guys, I recently started working on the drainage ditch in my front yard. It was never built right when the house was built and when water came from the culvert under my driveway, it ended up churning up the earth and creating a 2 foot deep hole, so needless to say the ditch was a mess.

So, I got the skid steer in there and started regrading and adding dirt to the hold. It took about 15 buckets when it was all said and done. So, its still a little wet and have some final grading to do, then I planned on tamping it with a plate compactor.

The ditch is about 6' wide and 50' long.

The plan is to do the final grading and tamping, and then adding rip rap to the whole ditch to prevent future erosion, however I am wondering if I need to put anything down before the rip rap? Landscape fabric? Pond liner? 10 mil plastic?

Maybe pinning that in and then adding the rip rap from the lowest point to the highest?

Mills314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,104

Drainage ditch, round 2.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mills314 View Post
Hey guys, I recently started working on the drainage ditch in my front yard. It was never built right when the house was built and when water came from the culvert under my driveway, it ended up churning up the earth and creating a 2 foot deep hole, so needless to say the ditch was a mess.

So, I got the skid steer in there and started regrading and adding dirt to the hold. It took about 15 buckets when it was all said and done. So, its still a little wet and have some final grading to do, then I planned on tamping it with a plate compactor.

The ditch is about 6' wide and 50' long.

The plan is to do the final grading and tamping, and then adding rip rap to the whole ditch to prevent future erosion, however I am wondering if I need to put anything down before the rip rap? Landscape fabric? Pond liner? 10 mil plastic?

Maybe pinning that in and then adding the rip rap from the lowest point to the highest?

Are you aware there are rules and regulations for lining a drainage ditch with rip rap,might be a good idea to check with your building dept. or whoever oversees that type of work in your area.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote