Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |
Thumbs down

Drainage Ditch Issues........

So we have a ditch in our front yard for drainage. It goes to some kind of concrete 'interconnect' I would call it.

Anyway : Once a year the county comes out to 'clean out' the vegetation to allow for better drainage. Keep in mind that I have a weedeater and its ALWAYS very well maintained. When they clean it out, they use a backhoe an end up knocking a chunk of my yard into the ditch.

Today we finally got around to having someone from the county come talk to us about it. His response was basically that we need to call the county engineer to see if it can even be done in the first place, and theres no way that they are paying for it. He couldn't remember the last time they even came out. (august)

Does it make sense from a liability standpoint that they should be obligated at minimum to fix any damage they cause to my yard? I can understand not wanting to go to the expense of burying a colvert and whatnot, but still. What happens in 10 years when they've knocked over 2 feet of my front yard off?
It seems to me however, that burying colvert would save a lot of man hours in the long run and expense of driving equipment out to fix 1 block worth of ditch as well as destroy my yard.

Fortunately for me, my dad works for a paving contractor, and they do a lot of drainage work. So at very worst i'll have to buy the colvert and whatever fill dirt i need, and he'll put it in for me for free. It still doesn't seem right. What do you think?

-Annoyed in California :D

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #2

I found that the city owns the first 10 feet of my yard anyway, right of way, and they can pretty much do what they want. If the culvert is neccessary to keep your yard from flooding, or your neaighbors yard, then they might be more inclined to do something about it. If it's just a remnant from days gone by, they'll probably just leave it. If they actually do damage to YOUR yard, not THEIR right of way, then they will fix it for you, but it might take awhile. I had my water line blow out in February in Anchorage and it was July before the landscaping contractor made it over to fix the sidewalk and ROW, AKA my yard.

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billinak
I found that the city owns the first 10 feet of my yard anyway, right of way, and they can pretty much do what they want. If the culvert is neccessary to keep your yard from flooding, or your neaighbors yard, then they might be more inclined to do something about it. If it's just a remnant from days gone by, they'll probably just leave it. If they actually do damage to YOUR yard, not THEIR right of way, then they will fix it for you, but it might take awhile. I had my water line blow out in February in Anchorage and it was July before the landscaping contractor made it over to fix the sidewalk and ROW, AKA my yard.
Yeah, it actually drains to the sewer system, and without the ditch, my yard would flood badly. Unfortunately, the sewer is wide open too. I can't imagine a 10 foot right of way at my house..... that would lead right up to my front door, really. Small lot.

Anyway, I guess i'm just going to end up biting it, and paying for someone to do it for me.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote