Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 AM   #1

Share |

downspouts..

***Mods please move this to the correct place if its in the wrong section

Ok so I have a small house 864 sq. Feet ranch style.. arguements sake let's say its square... I have 3 downspouts near the corners and one corner with no downspout... The corner with no downspout is a no can do as it would be a major trip hazard with the patio... I plan on running perforated tile with a pop up drain 15-20 feet from the house.. problem is one of the downspouts I don't know if I could do that as the path to the garage, shed, and roots to my maple tree would be in the way. I have standard sized downspouts (2x3?) And was wondering.. if I re pitch my gutters and seal off the downspout, and get a larger sized downspout on the 2 remaining downspouts... Could I get away with having only 2 downspouts on my house? This would eliminate a TON of headache and I figure running a larger hole/downspout would make up for missing the one... Sorry about the long write but all input is appreciated!
sh40674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

downspouts..

An awful lot of questions come to mind.
Maybe you could post some pics of what you currently have. One of each side of the house in order would be a start.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

downspouts..

How well does the side with just one downspout perform? Of course anyu problem will show up first when it rains really heavily.

Jus a larger downspout won't necessarily substitue for two smaller downspouts. The hole in the gutter that fits into the downspout will limit the water flow also.

If a second downspout, at the end of the gutter, conflicets with your patio, could you put a second downspout somewhere else, say, in the middle of that gutter instead of the end?

If you use underground pipes to channel away the gutter water, the pipes should be non-perforated and should drain the water well away from the house by gravity and not be subject to filling up and backing up. This means having an exit to the surface some distance away downhill, or dump into a drywell (not against the house) with a sump pump.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

downspouts..

I thought I'd you ran gutters underground you were supposed.to run drain pipe with slits in it... Wouldnt running solid pipes cause freezing?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

downspouts..

**if not I'd.....

Just saying everywhere I read says use perforated... Preferably with gravel around it and a sock to keep dirt out
Old 03-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

downspouts..

For underground pipes whose purpose is to carry gutter water away you do not want the water soaking into the ground near your house.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-19-2013 at 02:33 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

downspouts..

Only time I use pipes with holes in it is in french drains.
Gutter drains need soild pipe.
The whole idea is to get the water away from the house.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote