Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

dog urine burning my grass

I have 2 dogs. Theydo their business in our yard and now I have a whole bunch of circles of dead grass where they pee. I've put seed on some of the spots and it doesn't really grow. Someone told me to use lime. Is this true. Will it allow the grass seed to grow. If I treat the whole yard will it prevent the grass from dying where they pee on it? Please help!

wannabe gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe gardner View Post
I have 2 dogs. Theydo their business in our yard and now I have a whole bunch of circles of dead grass where they pee. I've put seed on some of the spots and it doesn't really grow. Someone told me to use lime. Is this true. Will it allow the grass seed to grow. If I treat the whole yard will it prevent the grass from dying where they pee on it? Please help!
Females, I assume (because male dogs tend to pee all over everything, not just in one spot).

My understanding is that the problem is the ammonia/nitrogen in the pee. And based on the fact that everyone seems to have conflicting ideas on how to stop/treat it, there's probably no one magic formula. Some places sell an "organic additive" you can put in your dog food, that is supposed to lessen the problem.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
wannabe gardner (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #3

On the radio show You Bet Your Garden, Mike McGrath addressed this problem. His advice included tips such as if you water the spot immediately after the dog pees, it will dilute the Nitrogen and prevent burning. It also helps to keep the dogs moving around, and giving you dog more water to dilute their urine.
I found the link with the info from the show if you want to read the whole thing.
http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=559

Good luck!
mossypath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mossypath For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

We got a dog 4 months ago, and she will sometimes pee in the yard. Usually prefers to walk to the dog park tho. I noticed over the summer that the spots where she pees are lush, tall, and dark green compared to the rest of the lawn. Just a random thing or would it be related to grass type, soil composition, etc? Saw this thread and was curious...
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

I've always had dogs and their urine never harmed the grass. Animals are like people in that when dehydrated urine becomes stronger. Try to give the dog more water and throw some ice cubes in the bowl so they drink more. Might not help but it's worth a try.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

Also interesting because we have to fight to get ours to drink. Never wants to. But she must get all she needs.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
We got a dog 4 months ago, and she will sometimes pee in the yard. Usually prefers to walk to the dog park tho. I noticed over the summer that the spots where she pees are lush, tall, and dark green compared to the rest of the lawn. Just a random thing or would it be related to grass type, soil composition, etc? Saw this thread and was curious...
Some nitrogen is good. Too much is bad.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #8

Go to the link that Mossypath provided from the radio show guy Mike Mcgrath. The explain the different reaction of our lawns. I wish my lawn was reacting like yours...I could deal with lush darker green spots a whole lot better than brown dead spots! My female dog is the one doing the most damge and she doesn't drink much water either (you actually have to leave the room before she'll drink...she doesn't take a drop if you're watching her!) One recommendation was to water the spot right after they go. Can you imagine me following her around with a hose...she'll stop peeing!!!
wannabe gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

I've added liver treats from the pet store to my dogs food every morning, which has helped, along with giving him more water. He doesn't like to drink from his bowl, but loves to drink from the tub...so in the mornings and in the evenings, I let him drink as much as he wants from the tub. He still from his bowl a bit during the day....but the bulk of it is from the tub spout, he just loves the running water. To comment on someone else's post, they're just like us...more water, less acidic pee, less smelly, looks like lemondae......not enough water, more acidic, smells, looks like ice tea.
mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #10

There are treats you can buy that help prevent this from happening. They are a bit pricey and would rund $15 or so per month, but after a couple of weeks they work great. Just depends on how much of an issue it is.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brown spots on lawn, dog urine, lime