Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Share |

dog poo in snow

I moved to the suburban area of Minneapolis after living in Phoenix AZ. In Phoenix I never had to deal with snow, obviously, so cleanup was a breeze. I grew up in rural areas and we had dog pens and acres of land so in the winter the dog poo never became a problem. Just shovel out the dog pen and all is well. Now that I live in a suburb with snow on a half acre it's becoming a problem. I have 3 little dogs who crap on my back patio (easy cleanup) but the big dog likes to run as far away from my door as possible in 2' of snow. I appreciate that he is running far away from the house but gee whiz, what do I do with the poo? I can't go out at 4 am when I let the dogs out in my boxer shorts and pick it up. I have to date gone out with a shovel and a bucket and picked up 3 days worth at a time but the slope is steep and it's still really cold. I wonder what other people do with their dog's during the winter. Any input is appreciated, thank you.

P.S I'm also really worried about when spring begins and it's super gross and slushy.

lendosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

dog poo in snow

Geez...I can't believe I'm responding to this, but since I've always had extra large dogs and there is at least two feet of snow out there, I know what you mean.

There is no easy solution. Just get them as the melting snow reveals them. Try to get them still semi frozen.

Warning: No matter how diligent you are,,,you will always miss some and you or the dog will step in it,,so wear your Wellingtons.

I hurl them over the fence but if your neighbour thinks this is a bad idea, then a designated pile in a discreet corner will work until the ground is workable. Then dig a hole and bury it. When the hole is almost brimming dig another and use the soil from the second to cover the first.

2 inches huh?? That's a slight dusting up here...

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
JOATMON

dog poo in snow

Be glad you don't have to clean up after my guy......I wish we had cold weather..frozen would be a lot easier to handle than warm/wet.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

dog poo in snow

We just leave it out there until Spring, or the Snow thaws and it warms up, then go pick it up.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #5

dog poo in snow

that is exactly why i don't have a dog.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

dog poo in snow

I have a yellow lab that's just about a year old. When I go on poop patrol, I always pretend I'm a prospector mining for gold. For a brief moment, I know the feeling of being filthy rich.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
creeper (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #7

dog poo in snow

Once again the edit button has disappeared so I cannot remove my last sentence. I just realized you also meant 2 feet. I must have been seeing double earlier.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
JOATMON

dog poo in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
that is exactly why i don't have a dog.
Our neighbor got burg'd a few weeks ago....they won't dare come to our house.....not unless they want a new a$$ hole.....because our black lab would give them one. 'My wife' have never felt safer than she does now with the dog around.....and the kids have a blast with him. It's worth the poop duties....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

dog poo in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
I have a yellow lab that's just about a year old. When I go on poop patrol, I always pretend I'm a prospector mining for gold. For a brief moment, I know the feeling of being filthy rich.
Mike Hawkins
I am the same way. I due a zig-zag path, when walking through the yard to look for the land mines. My son used to toss it over the fence into the alley. The pile started to get pretty large, so I have him now just scoop it into a plastic shopping bag, then bag that bag into another and toss it into the can.

Since Dog Feces are the same as ours, you cannot just bury them in the yard or place in the garden. They will make you ill from the bacteria.

Now of course if you are smart and have an access to your sewer line, or Septic tank, you could always throw them down there, then flush the line with the garden hose, to chase them down. When I worked out at the airport, we had a place that we would take the Lav-cart, to drain after it got full. It went straight into the city sewer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #10

dog poo in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
We just leave it out there until Spring, or the Snow thaws and it warms up, then go pick it up.
Same. It doesn't really smell in the winter (since it's frozen) so... just wait it out. The yard looks like a freakin' nightmare come spring though.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #11

dog poo in snow

I have probably been able to locate about 1 out of every 3 daily turds when it's not too cold to go out looking and more snow doesn't fall and cover it up. If it isn't savagely cold I'll take her out on leash so I can immediately bag it and toss it. Aside from that, I expect I'll have to take my time and put in a solid couple hours on poop patrol when the spring thaw hits. What has helped is that she has designated underneath the deck to be her favorite spot so that's where she'll go about 70 or 80% of the time.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #12

dog poo in snow

I blow out a path all the way around the perimeter of my fenced in back yard with the snow blower as I am doing the walks and driveway. The dog drops on the path most of the time and off the path some of the time. I pick up what I can in the winter and pile it up outside the fenced in area out of sight from the neighbors then double bag it and into the trash when I can. What gets buried in the snow I leave until the snow thaws. It isn't much of a problem as long as it's frozen. Sometimes the snow blower picks some up and flings it.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #13

dog poo in snow

haha. that's also the problem i have. there's no problem with their pees because it mixes with the snow and got frozen. regarding with their poos, i only shovel them and put in the bucket, and wait for the sun to come up, and then dig a pit to throw their wastes.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #14

dog poo in snow

Who knew this was a problem We have two labs who crap as much as a large herd of cows. We had snowstorms that kept snow on the ground for three weekends straight and when I finally was able to get out there, I ended up filling two kitchen trashbags full of their turd. Most of it was still frozen, some of it had been ground into the dirt so skillfully that I just left it there. Thank goodness we have a huge back yard or they would have run out of space to poo.

Now to just figure out why I found green plastic pieces and blue string in it.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Master General ReEngineer

dog poo in snow

Ayuh,.... My neighbor just sends 'is critters over to My yard to poo,....

I just ain't sure whether it's the Dogs, the Cats, or the Kids,....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote