Dog Poo On Lawn - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 780

Dog poo on lawn

Has anyone had any luck keeping dogs from using their yard as a latrine?

Yes, there's a city ordinance on picking up after your dog, but it's not easy to enforce. My side yard isn't visible to me but when I walk along the sidewalk there are piles after piles of dog poo along the edge of my grass. It's very annoying.

I've read pepper, or ammonia or vinegar work but needs to be applied after every rain.

Advertisement

Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Dog poo on lawn

video camera.
motion activated sprinkler.
shotgun.

legality of above may be in question.

some deterrent may work, but I suspect their effect dimishes quickly.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to...-repellent.htm

Advertisement

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Dog poo on lawn

Motion activated sprinklers, and a IP web camera, that you have watching that side. You can use just a Game camera, that uses SD cards to save the images. Then you have evidence of who it is, and can file an order with the court yourself, for the Cease & Desist, vs. waiting for the city to fine them.

Here are the highest rated ones at Gander Mountain .com. http://www.gandermountain.com/search...x1ratingsrange

Not picking up after your pet, falls under the Public Nuisance law in most states. Once you have the culprit, then you can start sending them certified notices, along with the picture of them allowing their pet to relieve itself on your lawn, while they are standing there.

Now of course if it is a straw or wildlife, that is a different story. Also using Dog & Cat repellent on your yard around the perimeter, helps to deter them from wandering into your yard. But you also have to do it on a regular basis.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-09-2014 at 08:48 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Dog poo on lawn

As for treating the spots, powdered Lime will work.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,846

Dog poo on lawn

I wonder if that will work for cats, I know firecrackers will work but we can't shoot fireworks here in the city but we can shoot a ... legally.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #6

Dog poo on lawn

Greg, nice cameras, but not in my budget at this time.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Dog poo on lawn

This is the camera I use outside on my garage. I just store the imagesx on a Lenovo ix2-4 NAS on my network. It runs around $92 on Amazon.http://foscam.com/prd_view.aspx?id=208 http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8905W...foscam+fi8905w The NAS is around $272 right now. There are cheaper NAS out there, then the one I use.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Dog poo on lawn

A fence? I would think even a very low garden fence would keep dogs from going there (of cousre depends on what the aesthetic is there)
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 694

Dog poo on lawn

I remember seeing some garden centers sell a solution which they told me contains tiger urine. Told me if I spray those around the perimeter of the lawn nothing will dare poo or pee there.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to miamicuse For This Useful Post:
Startingover (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #10
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Dog poo on lawn

A sign saying "Please pick up after your pet. Property now under surveillance" along with a fake camera may do the trick.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
creeper (02-10-2014), Live_Oak (02-11-2014), Startingover (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Dog poo on lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
A sign saying "Please pick up after your pet. Property now under surveillance" along with a fake camera may do the trick.
The problem with that, you cannot find out if the culprit is someone that has something against this party. There was a case a few months back, that a property owner had an issue with a phantom crapper.

After they put up cameras in a few areas, they finally caught the culprit. It turned out to be some older 20 something female. The court had fun with her, after they turned the evidence over to the DA for the county.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Dog poo on lawn

One reason I wondered about deterrents is several blocks away there's the most immaculate lawn in the neighborhood with picture perfect lush green grass. They have irrigation and a lawn co maintains it. I never see dog piles on their lawn. I was wondering if the lawn Co. Sprayed something.
Edit.
I have a lot of nice neighbors. If I had to suspect anyone it would be some of the renters a few streets over.

Also I find that kids who walk the family dog aren't respectful of others properties, either daydreaming or just don't know boundaries.

Last edited by Startingover; 02-10-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Dog poo on lawn

It could be anyone. Do not point fingers at suspects, until you have evidence of who they are. As for the immaculate lawns, we have those in our area also. The people that have these out of the magazine lawns, are more OCD then anyone out there, and feel they need to waste money on making weeds look great.

I would go with the camera first, so that you can have recorded evidence of who the party is. You could save the images to a drive, or even use the other type of camera that I have, with is the Foscam FI9821w, which has the ability of recording up to 32gb of images.

I just have the FI9821W, hanging from a L bracket in my front window, so that I can keep an eye on the front of the house. I did have to tape the IR lights, and use an external 96 LED light fixture outside.

The Hunting Trail cameras, you can usually rent them from local hunting & gun places a lot of times, or find a hunter in your area, and see if they will work a deal out for your, to catch these culprits.

Start with the motion sensor sprinklers. Load with a container of marking dye, so that when you come across the person, you will know who they are, due to they will be marked with dye that cannot be washed off.

It may whizz them off, but will teach them to not mess with you. The camera is a good investment anyways, due to you can use it to keep an eye on your property like I do with mine.

I have actually have a couple of home owners ask if I have caught suspects, when they have had attempts on their residences & vehicles, in front of our house. We have seen burglary attempts go down dramatically, once word got out that the end of the street that our house is on, has cameras that record all activity in that zone.
Startingover (02-20-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #14

Dog poo on lawn

Evidently mothballs aren't effective here. Bought hot spices and sprinkled. I'm amazed that a distance away my yard smells like a bowl of chili.

While I was outside a girl about 12 walked her dog past my yard and then let it walk up into the middle of my neighbors yard to do his business.

No, I didn't say anything. I'm not the neighborhood poop patrol. But her dog completely ignored my yard. Either no need or the smell.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Dog poo on lawn

Need to snap pictures of the culprits, and start publicly shaming the idiots that keep trespassing. If you have a HOA, time to start pushing the issue, even if your HOA is not one to use power for keeping the subdivision in line.

Every time I catch someone on my street doing something that they should not be doing, I am not afraid to ask them in a nice way to stop.

Next time you see little Suzi letting her dog do its business in a yard, tell her to not let, and take the dog home to do the business.

Advertisement

Startingover (02-22-2014)