Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Does Dry Stack Retaining wall need footer?

Hi,

I know there was an extensive thread about this but my stone mason is insisting that a 10" deep rebar reinforced footer is necessary when installing a 3 ft dry stack retaining wall. My soil composition is solid red clay for both the back wall and ground level and the first run will be 6" below paver grade. Should I bed the run on 3/4 gravel base too? I have good slant for water runoff. I thought the idea was to allow the dry stack wall to naturally flex with the conditions.

Anybody's additional comments would be much appreciated!

Tim

timweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

no you dont,nhe is trying to get more money out of you. u need seperation fabric 4inch to 6inch of base that is all. i have built over a thousand retaining walls. trust me find a new installer

murtaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,128

If someone said a 10" thick reinforced wall is required, that is just what he is selling and accustomed to building. It must have a footing wide enough to prevent the tipping that is a classic problem. With the red clay you definitely need drainage behind the footings and the wall.

If you can use a segmental (SRW) wall WITHOUT steel and mortar/grout this type of wall is not permitted to be built on a concrete footing and can be up to 40' high, but walls over 4' or 5' must be engineered and may require "geogrid" to tie it to into the the reinforce soil behind the wall, if necessary.

Just 2 different types of proven wall construction.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 11-09-2011 at 09:35 AM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote