Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #1

Share |

Does anyone know what happen to my plants??

To all the plant experts out there... I have no idea of what happen to one of my gardenia. See attached picture... Another gardenia, about 5 ft. from this one, has green and healthy leafs... Is it because not enough nutrition in the soil? What type of fertilizer should I use?

I also have questions on my lemon tree, see attached picture... Why are the tree leaf curl upward? Too much water? disease? How to prevent this?

Thanks a bunch....
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know what happen to my plants??-picture-007.jpg   Does anyone know what happen to my plants??-picture-005.jpg  

just_another_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #2

I don't see disease, just very yellow leaves. If that is the case, try this "quick fix". 3 Tablespoons epson salts in gal of water. pour around base of plant. If they are chlorotic, there could be several reasons. Gardenias like moist soil, but not overly wet. Make sure you have good drainage. They like a pH between 5.0 and 6.5. Wrong pH level will cause it to not absorb minerals like iron, nitrogen, manganese, or zinc. The epson salts is not a solution, but it will tell you quickly if you need soil amendments. Remember, "quickly" is a relative term in the plant kingdom. Normally what you see in your plants happened about 2 weeks ago. Then again, you could have soil tested.

Sorry, don't know squat about lemons, but I am jealous. Always wanted to grow some type of citrus.

Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

Usually the veins are more green and the yellow is between the veins in most of the chlorosis that I have seen.

Sasha,
Why not a water soluble fertilizer for acid loving plants with extra iron?
PS- good call on the pH!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

Reason for epson salts is that results are seen more quickly and if there is a good response at that point I would definitely start using the fertilizer. Epson salts are not a permanent answer, since they obviously are not chemically balanced for the plants needs.

You're right about the chlorosis and sometimes if it's a water issue, everything is leached from the soil to the point where the poor little thing can't come up with enough chlorophyll to color even the veins. Gardenias are temperamental, but once you get it figured out for your conditions, you can enjoy them almost worry free from then on.
Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #5

thanks for the information. what would you recommend for a water soluble fertilizer?
just_another_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

A plain old triple twenty (20-20-20) would work ok. Check at your garden center and see if they have a formula for acid loving evergreens. I would like a 6-12-12 or something similar.

It wouldn't hurt to get some iron with nutrients. Should be maybe $5. If you do, I would use it by itself and apply the fertilizer a couple days later. Sometimes I mix formulas, but for "troubleshooting" I would apply each treatment separately.

Just FYI, I always make sure that plants and roots are well irrigated before fertilizing. If they are under stress from drought when you fertilize them they will not be able to utlize the nutrients. Think of trying to eat a good steak dinner right after running a marathon. Also, you can burn the roots if they are dry when you fertilize.