Do I Need Drainage Around Foundation? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Do I need drainage around foundation?

I have an old house (1948) , one story with no basement, concrete slap and I believe it doesn't have drainage around the foundation. One side of the house (entry to back yard) has concrete pavement (about two inches below the floor). The rest are dirt around the home. My neighbor told me that I should put drainage around the foundation to prevent water damage to foundation (my back yard is about 1 feet higher than the front of the house).

I am wondering if it really necessary to put drainage around foundation or if there is other way to prevent the issue. I have a guy and he quoted $2500 for doing drainage & sealing foundation (about 120 feet). It looks easy enough for DIY with some helpers. What do you guys think?

Advertisement

cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

You said you have a slab, I presume it is concrete. Concrete is not damaged by being in contact with groundwater. Unless you have a problem with groundwater getting into your house, there should be no need for drainage around the house. And if you do have a problem with water getting into your house, take care of the obvious surface water problems first (grading downhill away from your house, gutters not clogged etc.)

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
cfreak (12-19-2013), DexterII (12-18-2013), Fendy (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,184

Based on what you have provided so far, I agree with Daniel. Many times, even if a crawl space or basement is involved, but particulalry with a slab, surface water can be adequately dealt with by proper grading and downspout extensions. IF your slab were at grade, which does not seem to be the case since you said that you have concrete outside of the house that is below the slab, a drain system might be something to consider, but, in my opinion, only after addressing the two main issues that Daniel mentioned.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
cfreak (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
My neighbor told me that I should put drainage around the foundation to prevent water damage to foundation (my back yard is about 1 feet higher than the front of the house).
Ayuh,.... It sounds like grading, or regradin' the yard oughta fix any water issues, If ya got any,....

What's yer yard look like in a torrential down-pour,..??
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
cfreak (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with Mr Daniel also. Our house is on the same situation and that's what we did.
Fendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

thank you for all replies.

I have some issue when heavy rain in the brick patio area. The ground seems to be sunk a little bit and the water is not drained (and It seems to keep sinking a little for the past 3 years). I will try work on grading so that the water flow along the side of the house to the front as everyone recommend..
cfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I can tell you that you're not going to hurt anything by putting in adequate drainage. You never really know until...it's too late.
mbender2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
Quick-Home-Buyers

Rewards Points: 10

Any chance you can share a photo? As long as you don't have puddles collecting near your foundation you should be fine.

To eliminate any water collecting by your home or patio you can create a dry creek/swale. This will channel the water at an angle so that when it rains, water coming towards the house can be directed to the side of the house.

Advertisement

QuickHomeBuyers is offline   Reply With Quote