Do I Have Moles? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I have moles?

Every year i B#$4^ and moan about my bumpy lawn. Last year i tried rolling it with no such luck. In that same year I rototilled and reseeded a 20x20 foot section and sure enough this spring it is all bumpy again and my grass completely died in that 20x20 section, but i think its because a gas line runs through that area killing my grass every year. probably a discussion for another thread. So my question is could I have moles doing this? I live in MA. If that is the case does human hair get rid of them? i would appreciate any help thanks

Advertisement

lmelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do I have moles?

If its near the surface probably voles

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

Do I have moles?

i neglected to mention I have 3 dogs and none of them go crazy over anything scurrying around the yard....could it be frost heaves that just never go away? im just really lost and dont know what to do next
lmelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Do I have moles?

Here in FL we call them salamanders. As large as their sand piles are, let me just hope I never encounter one!

They are ruining this rockbed at the moment. No, this is the BEFORE pictures.
Attached Images

downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Do I have moles?

I have moles - very difficult to control. So far after several years, the moles are winning...

http://icwdm.org/wildlife/mole.asp
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Do I have moles?

Around here we tend to attack the food source rather than the moles. If you have moles then you have grubs. Put down a grub killer, I use a hose end sprayer in the spring. Keep the dogs off it for the recommended time period and the moles move to your neighbors lawn.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

Do I have moles?

Salamander? Moles? Voles? Who knows?

In for a southern story? No, this isn't about me, but it could be close.

http://dumptrucks-babies-and-everyth...ole-thing.html
downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #8

Do I have moles?

You should try getting a couple of cats from the local shelter. I know the local cats have got to a couple chipmunks in my yard. That's a cheap way to try. Then if all alse fails, try the professionals .That what they get paid to do. Save yourself the time and frustration . As for the grass, after you get the rodent prob fixed, also go to the professionals. We tried to get the grass to grow in our yard for 5 years and we were very successful in our dandilion and week grouth.haha We got the weed man to take care of it ,and just after the first summer the grass was awesome. They have this super grass growing seed stuff that really grows it good. Give it a try , I'm sure it will work.
Good luck
P.S we are in South Eastern Ontario by the way.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #9

Do I have moles?

I live in rural Oregon and have 3 varmits that impede my vision of a lush lawn! Moles, gophers and ground squirrels, all posing their own problems.

For your issue and identifying the solution, if you had moles they would create small dirt mounds from 6" to 18" in diameter, left alone will kill that patch of lawn and leave a "bump" in your landscape. They never come out of the ground, they simply push dirt up and never see the light of day.

Gophers are like the old Caddyshack movie, they create a similar problem as a mole, but actually peek out of the hole, and come out to push the dirt around the opening. These are "shootable", with patience and a 12 gauge.

Ground squirrels dont create a hill, simply a labrynth of tunnels and come out of the ground often.

Not sure what a vole is.

Identify your problem, then attack w/ traps, poison, or killing the food source like the previous poster writes.

Advertisement

cbushrun is offline   Reply With Quote