Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |

DIY sod

i am thinking about digging up some grass in the back yard(to make way for a garden). and taking that DIY sod and putting it in the front yard to fill a spot.

how hard is it to make the sod, with a shovel ? i am thinking about 100sf.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
JOATMON

DIY sod

I've done it a bunch of times.....

Take a shovel and cut strips....anything over about 12" wide becomes hard to manage and get up.

After the strips are cut.....I take the shovel and and basically cut under the grass about 2-3"....you want to get at least below the roots. I would usually end up with 2' x 2' strips....give or take a few inches.

The receiving area needs to be graded low enough to accept the transplanted sod.....

Now....the guy I buy my grass from (not the smoking kind) tells me to put fertilizer on the dirt...then the sod.....that has worked well for me so far....just don't get carried away.

Once done....water....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

DIY sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I've done it a bunch of times.....

Take a shovel and cut strips....anything over about 12" wide becomes hard to manage and get up.

After the strips are cut.....I take the shovel and and basically cut under the grass about 2-3"....you want to get at least below the roots. I would usually end up with 2' x 2' strips....give or take a few inches.

The receiving area needs to be graded low enough to accept the transplanted sod.....

Now....the guy I buy my grass from (not the smoking kind) tells me to put fertilizer on the dirt...then the sod.....that has worked well for me so far....just don't get carried away.

Once done....water....
yeah, that is exactly what i was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Now....the guy I buy my grass from (not the smoking kind)
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

DIY sod

To give it a fighting chance and speed transplanting you should prep the soil in the area where it is going by turning it over/tilling it, raking it out, etc. just like you would if laying sod or seeding a larger area. Odds are against you if you just plunk it on existing soil.

Make sure to harvest and lay the sod in the same day. Water it immediately in the new location. Press it into contact with the soil. Keep it watered remembering that to start you are just keeping a thin layer alive. Try not to walk on it until it establishes.

You may find a flat spade more useful than a shovel for this. Hardly worth it for 100sf but you can rent a sod cutter for not much money per day.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (04-28-2013), Fix'n it (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

DIY sod

i took some sod from where my garden is going. and put it out front, about 1/4-1/3rd of the area. it looks kinda frankenstein, but it will grow out. and i can patch it up as needed. i'm not looking for perfection here. if it was perfect, it wouldn't match the rest of my yard