Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Dirt Fill Needed!

Hi, I just found this site and already had one question answered quickly! And it was just the answer I needed! Great responses. And what a great idea, this forum, to help each other out. Feels like one big neighborhood!

Anyway. I live in Palm Beach county. I wanted to find some fill for a pool size hole in our backyard. Actually, it had been one of those vinyl pools, round and fairly large. The previous owner had buried this pool in the ground, like a regular pool. However, once it started leaking, it was a vinyl mess! So, we took the pool apart. We figured we'd get fill whenever we got all of our other home improvement jobs done. But over time, our yard is starting to wash itself into this hole. I'm worried it will cause structural damage to our home one day. Our giant evergreen is starting to lean towards that hole too!

Does anyone know if there are companies down here that give away fill? For example, a pool builder who needs to dump the dirt that was dug up for the pool they are installing? Do they fill a dump truck up with the dirt and carry it off the property, and need a place to dump the dirt? Maybe for a fee for gas and labor? I don't know if this is what they do or not. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has ever heard of this or how most people find dirt requiring such a large amount.

Thanks so much!!!

bluewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 86

Dirt Fill Needed!

I would call some locals and ask them.Lived in Florida for 12 years and know top soil is at a premium but you should be able to find fill of some sort.Call some contractors and ask them.

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 192

Dirt Fill Needed!

Put an ad on Craigs list as well as making those calls.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 40

Dirt Fill Needed!

Be careful of unscrupulous business practices in this dirty arena. Ask for top soil and you may get ditch and/or culvert sediment. Sure it's from the top but that's not the top you want and not even good for sub soil. Do your home work on the subject.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Dirt Fill Needed!

Check with your village water department---My neighbor has gotten several small loads of fill from them---the excavations for sewer and street work are small and dropping them at his house saves them time----

Tags
dirt, fill, hole, pool builders