Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Share |

Dirt

Is there such a thing as bagged dirt? I'm not talking about enriched top soil that they sell at HD or other big box stores. I'm talking about fill dirt in a bag.

I know they probably sell by the yard at nurseries, but what about by the bag?

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
DIY'er

Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Is there such a thing as bagged dirt? I'm not talking about enriched top soil that they sell at HD or other big box stores. I'm talking about fill dirt in a bag.

I know they probably sell by the yard at nurseries, but what about by the bag?
Bagged stuff is only going to get so cheap or it's not going to be worth it to them to bag and transport. Around here you can find some pretty basic top soil or compost blend for well under $2 a bag.

If you need more than around a yard, it will likely be cheaper to get it in bulk from a nursery or trucking place that sells top soil by the yard.

If you have your own trailer that you can put a yard or two on you should be able to find a place that will sell you clean top soil at around $20 a yard dumped onto your trailer with their front end loader. Full truck loads delivered should get down to around $10 to $12 a yard for basic screened top soil.

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 AM   #3

Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Bagged stuff is only going to get so cheap or it's not going to be worth it to them to bag and transport. Around here you can find some pretty basic top soil or compost blend for well under $2 a bag.

If you need more than around a yard, it will likely be cheaper to get it in bulk from a nursery or trucking place that sells top soil by the yard.

If you have your own trailer that you can put a yard or two on you should be able to find a place that will sell you clean top soil at around $20 a yard dumped onto your trailer with their front end loader. Full truck loads delivered should get down to around $10 to $12 a yard for basic screened top soil.
Thanks.

I have several bags of topsoil from HD that only cost me like $.95/bag, but it's enriched and has bits of shredded wood in it.

I want just plain dirt, but nothing close to a yard.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Dirt

The word "dirt" is meaningless. Are you looking for structural fill for your backyard? Perhaps "bank run gravel". Maybe sand? Maybe you don't care? You can always get fill soil by the cubic yard from bulk material suppliers. I have no idea what you are planning to do with the "dirt", so it is difficult to steer you towards a solution.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote