Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #1

Share |

diggingS

So today I dig an area of 5 feet wide and 20 feet long. Well me and 2 other guys of course lol. We only dug 4 inches deep though. I'm planning to put brick pavers over it. Is 4 inches sufficient enough? I read online on how to to lay brick pavers down. They told me to pour some little rocks down first. I went to home depot. They have an assortment of little rocks there. Which is is best to use for irrigation and such. Also can I just pour out any type of sand or is there a special kind of sand for that as well. I just wanted to ask you guys first before I buy it. I don't really trust those hardware people advice.

supaflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #2

diggingS

What area of the country do you live? Frost heave in winter could be an issue.
Soil type? Clay usually needs more base. Any of the big box stores usually has videos of such projects to give you overall info. Usually 2-6" of compacted base material then 2" of screeded sand, then your pavers, but everyone's situation is different and lesser amounts of materials may work for your situation. Don't forget you need edging to hold it all together and think about how you pitch it for water runoff.

bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #3

diggingS

I stay in Houston, it rarely gets really cold. I only dug 5 inches so far. So I need 3 more to go. I think I'm just going to pour concrete instead. These brick pavers is may more work than concrete.
supaflyz is offline   Reply With Quote