Digging Under Sidewalk - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

digging under sidewalk

I need to tunnel under my sidewalk to get a couple cables under it. what's the easiest way to do this when the ground's frozen?

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

digging under sidewalk

you can generally use your water hose and a straight garden sprayer. dig a small hole for start and access a few inches below side walk. turn on sprayer to jet and let the water begin blasting a hole as the hole gets bigger keep feeding the hose in and out to continue blasting a hole. once on the other side just shove a pvc pipe throughfrom one end to the other. if this a much larger side walk i use the hose and sprayer dig a starter hole and a larger finnish side hole and feed the hose through a pvc pipe to guide the hose straighter working the hose in and out a few inches at a time through the pvc pipe. as the hole continues forward feed the pvc in further untill you reach the other side. let the water settle out then feed your lines through. hope this helps.

Advertisement

wildrush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 572

digging under sidewalk

I made up a simple tool just for this, a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe with a ball valve and a garden hose adapter.
I dig a pit next to the walk for all the extra water and dirt to fall into.
If you hook up the the drain vale on the water heater it will clean out the bottom of the heater and give you hot water to thaw out the ground faster.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
analogmusicman (02-21-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

digging under sidewalk

I found putting a cap with a couple holes drilled into on the end focuses the water stream and concentrates the pressure. Same idea though. I've always used galvanized pipe and end drilled end cap. I guess SCH 80 PVC would work. The nice thing about galvanized is you can keep adding lengths if you need to get under a driveway or something. Then again, a length of PVC and an end cap for your immediate task at hand is not going to break the bank.

You might need to wait until it thaws if the ground is frozen solid. You sure it is all the way under the depth of the sidewalk? A solid 6" soil freeze is a lot? Been awhile since I lived in the Rockies and my cowboy years---age 9 and 10.

Last edited by user1007; 02-22-2012 at 11:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

digging under sidewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogmusicman View Post
I need to tunnel under my sidewalk to get a couple cables under it. what's the easiest way to do this when the ground's frozen?

tnx,
Ayuh,... How big are the cables,..??

Run a saw across the walk, stuff the cables into the crack, 'n caulk over 'em...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

digging under sidewalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... How big are the cables,..??

Run a saw across the walk, stuff the cables into the crack, 'n caulk over 'em...
don't want to do that but tnx for the advice anyway!

tnx,

Advertisement

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote