Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Busy DIYer

Share |
Question

Did I prune incorrectly? (PICS)

I planted a Pomegranate shrub about a year ago.
It had grown to about 5 feet tall with three main trunks about 0.5-0.75 inches in diameter.
With recent winds in the area, I noticed a gap developed around the main trunk in the ground, and the tree seemed unstable.

To control further excessive shaking of the tree from the wind, I cut off the main three trunks at about 4 feet height. Basically I reduced the height.

The tree just came out of dormancy.

Did I mess up the shape and growth of the tree?

I am guessing it will now branch out from where I cut the main trunks.

This is what it looks like now, the last picture shows some of the pruning sealant I used.

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

If a shrub, you likely did no harm. If you cut the leader (highest growth piece) of a tree; it might stunt growth.
You don't/shouldn't use pruning sealants, paints,etc.. The plant will heal itself; some pruning sealers can cause more problems than fix.
Let the bush grow a bit; the wind will likely not hurt it any (try to bend a branch and see how far they bend without breaking). Nature is smart.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
picflight (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Busy DIYer

Should I prune the lower part some more?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

I would google the species of your pom bush/tree.
I did, using pomegranate tree care california
and a number of detailed instructions on care came up, some dependent on species and geography.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You should invest in the Sunset Gardening Book and a good book on pruning.

Pruning is as important as watering and feeding. I gave first pruning when I planted trees which shocked some clients. I could fix things that would become problems. Taking 1/3 of growth forced root growth and diminished sail effect and wind damage.

It is not common in the Midwest but young trees in California were supported by tree stakes and figure eight ties to allow for trunk growth.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
picflight (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
Busy DIYer

I found this instructions on care and pruning.

How to Care for a Utah Pomegranate Tree
By Drue Tibbits, eHow Contributor

The Utah Sweet pomegranate tree can grow 30 feet tall and has pink-orange flowers that are self-pollinating. This hardy tree with its apple-sized fruit is suited for USDA zones 6 through 10. The fruit of the Utah Sweet pomegranate tree has pink skin and pulp, with seeds that are softer than other pomegranate cultivars. The pomegranate fruit develops on the tips of new growth, so understanding how to prune your Utah Sweet pomegranate tree correctly will help it produce an abundant harvest.

Difficulty: Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need

8-8-8 fertilizer
Organic mulch, such as rotted manure
Pruning shears
Water newly planted Utah Sweet pomegranate trees every 2 to 4 weeks until you observe new growth. Pomegranate trees need 60 inches of rain per year, so water established pomegranate trees as needed to supplement natural rainfall.
Apply 2 lbs. of an 8-8-8 fertilizer to young trees every November and March. After the pomegranate tree is 2 years old, apply 4.5 lbs. of 8-8-8 fertilizer every November and March. Once the tree is mature and fully grown, increase the amount of fertilizer to 6.5 lbs. Apply the fertilizer to the ground surrounding the tree, following the manufacturer's directions.
Mulch the ground around the base of the Utah Sweet with a yearly application of rotted manure or other organic compost.
Prune the pomegranate tree during the winter that it reaches 2 feet tall. Select an upright branch as a leader, and cut back all other limbs to the ground.
Train the Utah Sweet once it has developed numerous horizontal branches off the main leader. In the winter, select five evenly distributed shoots that grow horizontally from the trunk, and remove all other shoots by cutting them back to where they join the leader. Keep the bottom 8 to 10 inches of the leader clear of branches and suckers, as this will help the leader grow into a strong trunk.
Cut back the pomegranate tree's branches every winter until it is 3 years old. Cut off the end of each branch, leaving three quarters of the branch's original length. Use pruning shears to cut each branch at a node, or bump, on the branch. This will help the Utah Sweet develop new tip growth in the spring for abundant fruit production. Remove any suckers that are growing from the crown, the bottom 12 inches of the trunk or at ground level by pinching them off with your fingers or cutting them off with pruning shears.
Stop pruning the branches of the Utah Sweet pomegranate tree after its 3rd year. Prune only to remove dead branches. Continue to remove suckers that grow on the crown, the bottom 12 inches of the trunk or at ground level.
Harvest the pomegranates when they have developed their mature pink color and sound metallic when tapped.