Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dethatching lawn

I have a very old lawn and I think it really needs to be dethatched. When is the right time of year to do this? Am I supposed to fertilize or anything after?

LD004643578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Dethatching lawn

What do you consider a "very old lawn?"
What grass is your lawn?
Where are you?

Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Dethatching lawn

I live in St. Louis. The house is just over 100 years old and I don't think there's ever been any major work done to the yard. There's mix of different grasses, I don't know enough to identify them but I can definitely pick out at least four different types judging by the colors and size of the blades. I might as well throw another question in here... I know it needs to be dethatched because I can see a pretty deep buildup of clippings and stuff so what I really want to do is dethatch, put some weed killer down, and then put zoysia seeds down because I heard that will pretty much take over and make it more uniform. So I guess what I really want to know is will this work and when do I do it all? Thanks.
LD004643578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Dethatching lawn

I just thatched my front lawn last week. We put down weed killer two weeks prior then I got out the thatching rake. We live in mid atlantic region...Hard work ! I then spread a fescue (zoysia not avail) and watered tgoroughly. I was told it would be a week before grass germed...Not looking forward to doing the back but too many bare patches now! You got zoysia seed or patch or sod??? I will keep eyes out for it for future..Good stuff!!

Good luck
Han'D' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

Dethatching lawn

Quote:
So I guess what I really want to know is will this work and when do I do it all? Thanks.
Yes.
Now is a good time.

I would treat the weeds as mentioned above. Han'D', what did you use to dethatch? Did you rent something, etc?

LD, are you comfortable with using power equipment? If so, I would suggest renting a dethatcher. If one is not available, maybe use a verticutter as a second choice but if the first is not available the other probably won't be either.

After you reseed, sod or whatever I would recommend using a high phos fertilizer at about 1/2 strength. This will greatly help with ROOT establishment. One of the flowering fertilizers will work very well. Something like 15-30-15 or 15-45-15 or even a 10-60-10. Do not use a high N lawn fertilizer right now. Worry about the top growth next spring.

Let me know how large your yard is, and how much work, equipment, expense you want to go into. In other words the basic, the renovate special or the NICE redo.