Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Desperate lawn

I need some help with my lawn, I just bought the house and it has not been taken care of in a couple of years. here are some pics of it, any suggestion? I would love some advice. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Desperate lawn-011.jpg   Desperate lawn-012.jpg   Desperate lawn-013.jpg   Desperate lawn-015.jpg   Desperate lawn-016.jpg  

solblanca23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #2

Desperate lawn

any thoughts, really need some help!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Desperate lawn

Where ya from? Looks like the Forsythia is blooming so that'a a clue your North somewhere. Forsythia only bloom when the soil temps are at least 50 degrees F.Step 1 apply grub control. Looks like you may have grubs eating the roots of the lawn.Step 2 if you can rent a slit seeder from local rental store. It looks like a hopped up push mower. you load a hopper with grass seed and it has long tines that cut slits in the soil and the seed falls in the slits as the machine moves. Run this machine over the bad areas you want fixed Step 3 Apply starter fertilizer you can do this before or after seeding.Step 4 try and cover the major areas with straw and water.If you can't get a slit seeder you will have to rake the bad areas. see other post on "new home owner from city".Don't get lazy on the water and you will get grass. Good lawn takes a lot of hard work. Grass seed can take awhile to germinate and depending on where you are it may not be time yet.

Last edited by Bushman; 04-06-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,092

Desperate lawn

If we do not know where you are, it is impossible to help much
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

Desperate lawn

sorry, I'm in allentown, pa. and just curious, how did you know i had grubs. i'm new at this

Last edited by solblanca23; 04-07-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Desperate lawn

I could tell it looked like grubs Just by the way the dead spots looked. You will get large areas of all dead grass that are growing next to grass that is ok. I have had them before and it's a pain. The problem is you don't know you have them until it's too late. Pretty much have to put down insecticide every year. I'm not certain but dig a couple test spots a couple inches deep and if you see little white grubs then....
The only other thing I can see is maybe the leaves were never cleaned properly and it smothered the grass. The tree is going to suck a lot of moisture out of the ground as well as shade the lawn. Grass likes sun. Have a tree company thin out the tree properly and be sure lawn gets enough water and nutrients. there really is no such thing IMO as shady grass. It is a sun lover that is somewhat tolerant of shade. Don't expect miracles from a "shady" seed. a good many things have to be right to grow grass in the shade.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Desperate lawn

Try this link:

http://www.yardcare.com/expertadvice...ion/index.html

It gives you step by step instructions about how to restore a lawn.

It's a great site for general lawn care.

Densec is offline   Reply With Quote