Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Depression at least six inches deep going around corner of house-in back

My home is located in a mountainous area - at the base of an incline with the home situated on another incline.

I have been having problems with water in the cellar for the past several years. Finally, this year, I had my "worker" put the 4" vinyl pipes from the downspout areas to lead away from the house for at least 20 feet.

I thought I had the problem resolved. However, during a heavy storm during the evening of 6/22/2006 I found water on the cellar floor with the water coming from the back corner of the house.

My thoughts - even tho' we had put the 4" vinyl pipes there - the area beneath the pipe at that back corner lays low - there is a depression at least six inches deep going aroung the corner of the house - and that depression might be at least 12-16" wide. (I have to assume that with a hard driving rain - the rain water could conceivably collect there - and then finds its way into the cellar.)

Would it be advisable to fill that depression with dirt? My concern - filling that area with dirt would place dirt up against the aluminum siding - would that, in time, be detrimental to the siding?

Would it be better to place such as a vinyl or other heavier type fabric beneath that soil to be added and allow the material to "rest" against the lower portion of the house?

Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Depression at least six inches deep going around corner of house-in back

Not sure if you got you problem fixed or not but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in!! I wouldn't think that the soil would hurt the Aluminum siding. I would add the soil and tamper it down so it gets settled down better. You might have to do this more than once just will have to see after a rain to see if it settled more or not and if you are still having a problem. If you did get this fixed let us know how you fixed it. Thanks!!

Damon

daman3178 is offline   Reply With Quote