Deer Fence - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
sweaty

Rewards Points: 250

Deer Fence

We're making a backyard garden and deer are a problem. We need an inexpensive, easy to build fence. I was thinking of getting 8' wood stakes and attach deer netting to it. How far down should I drive the stakes? How do I make a door to get in?

Advertisement

sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Deer Fence

I found that if I built a fence to keep only one pest out (groundhog, deer, field mouse, etc), then the others would just have their way with the garden! Build a decent fence, and my experience has been, run a line of electric near the top. Nothing else worked as good for me!

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Deer Fence

The local apple orchards hang bars of soap in the trees. The deer associate the smell of the soap with human presence
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Deer Fence

I had deer eating my hanging tomato plants and pepper plant since they found they were at a very convenient height.

I bought a few bars of Irish Spring (strong noticeable odor of you are close) and cut them into chunks. I hung them on strings from the tomato bag supports. That was tree years ago and have not had a problem since even though the deer make two passes (AM & PM) everyday about 10' from the plants. I assume any scented soap bars would help and strong odors may be better.

I learned that trick when I stored my Corvette in northern MI for the winter in a closed unheated barn shed that was over-run with mice and did not want them under the hood or getting inside. I shaved some under the hood and put a few chunks inside under the seats. I even put a chunk in the exhaust pipe, because mice will go in looking for a place to sleep. The smell disappeared a day or so after I removed the chunks and drove for a bit.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote