DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Decided to go with new concrete patio

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  gante 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have decided to install a concrete patio on my backyard. This would cover aproximately 1500 sqft. I will be meeting one contractor on monday for the first estimate on this project.

I am still debating if this is something I could takle myself with the help of friends or would it be best to leave it to professionals... what do you think?

At this point I am inclined to hire a contractor since it is a large area for someone with no experience and I would like to get it done right the first time.

I am hoping that the contractor I hire will be professional and know what they are doing but I would like to have an idea of what should be the expectations on this project:
1. How thick should the concrete be for a 1500 sqft patio? I know the thicker the better but is there an absolute minimum to ensure it does not crack or break?
2. How should this concrete pad be reinforce... is wire net ok or steel bars should be used?
3. Should this large patio be divided into smaller concrete pads or can it be laid as a continuous single concrete pad of 1500 sqft?

Anything else I should address with the contractor or make sure that it is specified on the contract?

Any information would be greatly apreciated.

Greg

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.