Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 AM   #1

Share |

Dead Grass

what happens if I spray grass andweed killer on the grass...couple of weeks spots of grass are growing but weeds seem to be gone or sleep. Roto tilled the ground...seems a little spongy. Should I roll the ground and wait a couple of weeks to lay new sod?

Presssto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Dead Grass

i'd wait until mid-late sept to put down sod. no point in rushing to lay sod in August, when it is least likely to survive. I'm also not sure tilling the soil is a good idea, as the weed killer has likely worked it's way below the surface, so why stir it up and risk putting it in contact with sod roots.

If your area is small, I'd wait a few weeks or longer. Remove a couple inches of the treated soil, and fill with some topsoil from another location, or out of a bag, then lay sod. If it's a bigger area, I'd still rake in a thin topsoil "top coat" and lay sod on top of that.

Some of the pros may have better advice, but that's what I've done in the past and I've always had good luck

Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #3

Dead Grass

I understand that most weed and grass killer works by contact with the foliage of the plant. It also decomposes quickly and leaves no residue in the soil. Accordingly, I understand that there would be no harm in tilling or planting or laying sod. Rolling is also a bad idea, I understand, due to compaction of the soil.

The only concern that I have is with weather and water. Hot or dry may not be best conditions for laying of sod. Some grasses go dormant at higher temperatures.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Dead Grass

Quote:
I understand that most weed and grass killer works by contact with the foliage of the plant. It also decomposes quickly and leaves no residue in the soil.
A dangerous misconception. Many herbicides can be picked up by the roots of desirable plants near the treated areas. Most if not all of the 'zines,' i.e. atrazine, simizine, etc. will do this. Treated grass clippings used in a compost pile can kill other plants later.

READ THE LABEL!

Presssto,
I can't think why you would need to wait any length of time to lay sod on properly prepped soil but could you elaborate on "spongy?"