Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Curious about watering new grass seed.

So in the past two weekends i managed to do my best detaching and short trimmming the lawn last weekend, and this past weekend i cut it short again, aerated, seeded and hayed, and fertilized.

im up in CT and we just got about 2" of rain and am wondering when i should water again and how much each day?

rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,360

http://www.bewaterwise.com/calculator.html

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 558

What does "hayed" mean?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I assume the OP means he used hay as a top dressing which is dangerous if it has any seed in it. Straw would have been a better choice.

Anyhow, turfgrass seed should be kept evenly moist until it germinates. Now this is tricky depending on what is in the mix. Annual rye will germinate in 3-5 days, perrennial rye in 7-10, and things like bluegrasses and fescues can take 21 or more. You do not want to drown the yet to germinate seeds by overwatering those grasses that germinate early---especially annual rye since you will only get one season out of it.

When it does not rain, plan on watering lightly 3-4 times per day until all the seed has germinated and not so much that water stands or puddles.

You also want to start regular watering when the roots have formed and grass shoots emerge. Ultimately you want to get to a watering schedule that encourages deep roots and this involves watering longer and less frequently.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I assume the OP means he used hay as a top dressing which is dangerous if it has any seed in it. Straw would have been a better choice.

Anyhow, turfgrass seed should be kept evenly moist until it germinates. Now this is tricky depending on what is in the mix. Annual rye will germinate in 3-5 days, perrennial rye in 7-10, and things like bluegrasses and fescues can take 21 or more. You do not want to drown the yet to germinate seeds by overwatering those grasses that germinate early---especially annual rye since you will only get one season out of it.

When it does not rain, plan on watering lightly 3-4 times per day until all the seed has germinated and not so much that water stands or puddles.

You also want to start regular watering when the roots have formed and grass shoots emerge. Ultimately you want to get to a watering schedule that encourages deep roots and this involves watering longer and less frequently.
That's the big one. Watering too frequently causes all roots to simply sit near the top of the soil.

For the most part, watering once per day - or better yet, once every other day - is a good way to "encourage" the roots to follow the water down deeper into the soil.

That makes for a healthier lawn.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #6

I have mostly fescues and kentucky blue.

Also, another question. i have seed and hay on the bald spots but i also overseeded the rest of the lawn.

should i water the regular grass which was overseeded?

As for the patches that have seed and hay, i will make sure to water in the morning and the evening and it looks like it will have to be afor at least 3 weeks since thats about teh length of germination is that long.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygar View Post
I have mostly fescues and kentucky blue.

Also, another question. i have seed and hay on the bald spots but i also overseeded the rest of the lawn.

should i water the regular grass which was overseeded?

As for the patches that have seed and hay, i will make sure to water in the morning and the evening and it looks like it will have to be afor at least 3 weeks since thats about teh length of germination is that long.
Yeah, do that. It takes the same thing to germinate grass that was overseeded.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

thanks for the input fellas. i hope the rain keeps coming so the well doesnt dry up.