Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #1

Share |

Cub Cadet from TSC

I am looking at purchasing a new Cub cadet from TSC.
It is a 52 inch cut, 23 HP briggs and Stratton and has a hydrostatic transmission. It is a very nice looking tractor. $2000 on sale.

I currently use a John Deere GT262 48 inch with a 17Hp Briggs manual trans. I could buy the box store JD but there is a big diff. in box store and dealership tractors. The equivalent JD(to Cub)would be about 4 grand. Not enough cash for that one.

The JD has been on the downhill slide for a couple years and I just keep nursing it. Overall been a good tractor.

My question is:
Has anyone purchased this mower? How is it? What do you do about service because TSC doesn't service them.

Anything ya got would be helpful.
Not looking for a brand war just comments on the Cub.
Thanks a bunch.

Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #2

Cub Cadet from TSC

I was looking at a Cub once. (Doesn't Home Depot sell them?)
I was looking at one that had a Kohler engine I believe.

In my opinion, Briggs isn't the engine builder it used to be. I'd try to avoid them if possible.

I was thinking Cub built tractors on other engine platforms and I'd look for one.

I believe in the Kohler engines and the Hondas, but the Hondas, as far as I know are only on some push mowers.

I also have a Honda Generator, and it fires within 2 pulls every single time and is so quiet a baby could sleep beside it. (Of course that would be a bad idea due to the exhaust fumes.)

Rhizzlebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #3

Cub Cadet from TSC

It would be nice to find it with a honda or kohler. I'm sure that would up the price especially with a Honda but might be worth a couple extra bucks. I used to run Kohler on my commercial mowers back in the days and loved them. I have seen cub at TSC and Lowes so far. They have a 46 " at HD for 1699.00 not sure of the engine. have to recheck on-line.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Cub Cadet from TSC

I bought a Cub Cadet with 50" deck and 22 (or 23) horse Kohler Courage about 6 weeks ago for $1999 from Home Depot. Awesome mower. My old riding lawnmower took me 1.5 hours to mow my 1 acre lot. With the CC I can do it in 30 minutes. It mows at 5 miles an hour, turns on a dime with little effort, and leaves a perfect cut. I actually just started mowing 6 of my neighbors yards with it for extra $ on the side.
martyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to martyshel For This Useful Post:
Bushman (04-14-2010)
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

Cub Cadet from TSC

I've been looking for a while for a garden tractor. Was going to get a Deere, maybe a good used one. Came across a post on another forum about the Dixon that Home Depot is selling (online only):

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It has a Kawi 26HP motor and lots of bells and whistles. Went with that and the bagger system. So far only 1 or 2 folks have bought it and seem happy with it.
HautingLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

Cub Cadet from TSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HautingLu View Post
I've been looking for a while for a garden tractor. Was going to get a Deere, maybe a good used one. Came across a post on another forum about the Dixon that Home Depot is selling (online only):

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

It has a Kawi 26HP motor and lots of bells and whistles. Went with that and the bagger system. So far only 1 or 2 folks have bought it and seem happy with it.
If you end up getting a Deere, make sure you get it from the dealer, not from a big box store.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #7

Cub Cadet from TSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
If you end up getting a Deere, make sure you get it from the dealer, not from a big box store.
I went to a Kubota dealer first....too much $$ for simply mowing and leafs. Went to a real tractor place -- had a lot of used Deeres in the 2k - 4k range, all with 800hrs hours. I decided on the Dixon (there is a dealer 30min away)...54in Dixon, bagger, and a Toro 22" mower for $3500 shipped to my door. Not too shabby.

Plus, I'm tired of borrowing the neighbors mower.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 AM   #8

Cub Cadet from TSC

Quote:
I went to a Kubota dealer first....too much $$ for simply mowing and leafs. Went to a real tractor place -- had a lot of used Deeres in the 2k - 4k range, all with 800hrs hours. I decided on the Dixon (there is a dealer 30min away)...54in Dixon, bagger, and a Toro 22" mower for $3500 shipped to my door. Not too shabby.

Plus, I'm tired of borrowing the neighbors mower.
Interesting...I've never heard of the Dixon brand until you mentioned it here.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #9

Cub Cadet from TSC

Quote:
Interesting...I've never heard of the Dixon brand until you mentioned it here.
I don't know what the rules are here (in regards to linking to other sites), but there is a 22 page discussion on another board about the Dixon. It's actually getting pretty heated.

The consensus is that it's basically like a Craftsman with a better Kawi engine and some other 'Gucci features', and it's coming out of the Husqvarna factory (per the other forum: Dixon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Husqvarna).

Buying sight unseen is risky, but I was getting tired of looking and this seemed like it would do the job and last a while.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #10

Cub Cadet from TSC

Quote:
I don't know what the rules are here (in regards to linking to other sites), but there is a 22 page discussion on another board about the Dixon. It's actually getting pretty heated.

The consensus is that it's basically like a Craftsman with a better Kawi engine and some other 'Gucci features', and it's coming out of the Husqvarna factory (per the other forum: Dixon is a wholly owned subsidiary of Husqvarna).

Buying sight unseen is risky, but I was getting tired of looking and this seemed like it would do the job and last a while.
So what's the difference between a Husqvarna vs. a Dixon?

Did you consider Ariens?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM   #11

Cub Cadet from TSC

Quote:
So what's the difference between a Husqvarna vs. a Dixon?

Did you consider Ariens?
I believe it's the Kawi engine, rear hitch, electric mower deck (lowering), and maybe some other things?

Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=119043
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #12

Cub Cadet from TSC

I know someone who bought a Cub Cadet with a Kohler specifically because of the poor B&S engines. It's been working well for him for a few years now.

operagost is offline   Reply With Quote