Creeping Charlie - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
One Room at a time

Rewards Points: 10

Creeping Charlie

Hello,

I have a lawn that is literally FULL of Creeping charlie. Does anyone know of a "green" way to get rid of it, other than pulling it by hand? Here in Ontario it is illegal to use pesticides unless organic, and they don't touch the stuff.

I thought this time of year might be a good time to get it. It seems to be going dormant for the winter, so I thought I would check and see if anyone can help....I HATE the stuff!

I am considering just tilling my whole lawn in the spring and re-laying sod.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Zee 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Creeping Charlie

Hi! Check this out: http://turfkinghamilton.blogspot.com...g-charlie.html

Hope it works. Glad to hear Ontario isn't allowing any pesticides, the rest of the world should follow. God Bless!

Advertisement

Lali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
BJ

Creeping Charlie

1) literally burn it with a flame weeder
2) Weed Stop for Lawns made by Spectracide
3) brush-b-gone sprayed directly on the creeping charlie. The surrounding grass will turn brownish yellow but is not dead. The creeping charlie root lose their tenacity and it can then be pulled out, which is very therapeutic!
BJLower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #4

Creeping Charlie

'BJLower - 'Zee_32' requested a 'green' way to eradicate creeping charlie. My research @: http://www.pesticide.org/pubs/alts/w...meweeding.html suggests that flame weeding is inappropriate to use on lawns as it will leave burnt spots. Your second idea (WeedStop) & third idea (Brush Be Gone) are both chemical solutions, NOT "green". The Borax solution at the first link I posted is the BEST way to go. God Bless!
Lali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Creeping Charlie

Borax used very carefully would be my suggestion if you can get and use it next spring in a tank sprayer. Do follow directions exactly though and don't do what many do and assume that an extra tablespoon or so per gallon will help. Borax is illegal to use in a growing number of US states because even though it is natural and organic? It can render soil ABSOLUTELY sterile for a long, long time. Not sure if you have the equivalent in Canada we do here but try asking your university or other ag support people for advice on this.

Diggging it up could help too and you could till now if you wanted. Go deep after checking for utility lines buried of course. Get it all and try to freeze the evil stuff over the winter.

And over the winter find a hydromulch company, not a sod one, to give you a fighting chance at a gorgeous lawn. Hydromulching/hydroseeding will take so much less water to establish than a sod one, will develop into a healthy lawn more quickly, and it will cost you a fraction of what sod costs. Found this link to get you started. They may have ideas on how to help with the Creeping Charlie too?

http://www.dolhydroseeding.com/

Last edited by user1007; 11-15-2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Creeping Charlie

Good luck finding something that meets both criteria, removes it and is approved for use.
Creeping Charlie is not easy to kill and pulling it is a waste of effort. Replacing sod has no guarantees either. It will come in from neighboring lawns.
In the States it easiest to control in early spring. Using a pre-emergent and apply twice over 30 days.

What to use for a green approach, well letís just say there isn't anything that's "green" that will kill anything that grows. If it kills it, it isn't being Green!

However, as suggested, contact your area horticulturalist for a recommendation.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Creeping Charlie

[quote=Shamus;353337]
<font color="black"><font face="Verdana"><font color="black"><font face="Verdana">

Last edited by user1007; 11-15-2009 at 02:04 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
One Room at a time

Rewards Points: 10

Creeping Charlie

Thanks for the replies.....

I'm not sure which route I will end up taking. This new pesticide ban is crazy. I think I may re sod, and keep an eye on it. The problem is that when we purchased this house, it was already waaaay out of control. If I re sod, I will be able to pull it out if it shows up from neighbour's etc.

Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming!

Advertisement

Zee 32 is offline   Reply With Quote