Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

creating outdoor steps

hello,
This weekend's project is to prepare the steps with gravel base and river sand in order to put pavers next week end.
I have a small hill leading from garage to basement and last week i carved 7 steps with standard riser height and double tread runs. The soil is red mud type, pretty compacted but when wet has the consistency of clay.

I'm looking for suggestions to hold the pavers on the sides of the step and for the risers. Last week i made forms and poured concrete but it was a disaster (2 inch thickness not thick enough?). Someone at work suggested 4x4 or 6x6 treated wood which i've seen projects done before but the wood will only last maybe 5 years?
What would you do?

nsxtasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 64

creating outdoor steps

Not sure where you came up with the 5 year figure. Below grade 4 X 4's 4 X 6's or 6 X 6's should last at least 20 years if not more.
Read the lable on the ends of the wood if it says below ground rated the treating is deeper in the wood not just a suface treatment.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #3

creating outdoor steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Not sure where you came up with the 5 year figure. Below grade 4 X 4's 4 X 6's or 6 X 6's should last at least 20 years if not more.
Read the lable on the ends of the wood if it says below ground rated the treating is deeper in the wood not just a suface treatment.
I didnt came up with it... The PT fence posts in my yard remind me of it every morning...
After reading your post (thank you btw) I looked closely at lowes and hd website for specs on their products. None of them states for below grade... I guess that's my problem... Where can i get below grade or marine applucation PT wood?

Also what about using the solid cement blocks for retaining? Would that work?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

creating outdoor steps

Quick updare: I m using 16x8x2 cement blocks as retaining and step headers. Seems it's going to work. Need to use some kind of binder for the gaps on the headers... Will post later on
Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

creating outdoor steps

try using polymeric sand for a binder and keep in mind outside steps should be about 6 1/2" height, not 8"
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 PM   #6

creating outdoor steps

Hi Sir, did you plan the step light?
Brass blacksmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

creating outdoor steps

Hi there

How's your project going?

I don't know if its too late or not but, here is a How to Guide on Installing pavers, it may help: http://www.paversearch.com/installing-pavers-menu.htm
jerrywoods2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerrywoods2011 For This Useful Post:
nsxtasy (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #8

creating outdoor steps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywoods2011
Hi there

How's your project going?

I don't know if its too late or not but, here is a How to Guide on Installing pavers, it may help: http://www.paversearch.com/installing-pavers-menu.htm
Great link. Project is done but the slope I purposely built in is not having the desired visual effect. I may remove pavers to slope it differently