Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

craftsman rotatiller 6.5 hp Cuts off

had this laying idle for a few years. decided to try to till a garden. got it started but was rough sounding and belched white (vapor or smoke?) So drained the old gas and oil and put in new air filter and spark plug. It cranks up OK but immediately cuts off. Any ideas?

Cuppa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!

Most likely has some trash and old gas crud in the bowl and needle area. Needs a good cleaning out at the very least. Are you handy with taking the carb off? If not, if nothing else get a bottle of carb cleaner like you pour in the gas tank. Pour it staight through the intake or however you need to to fill the carb with it. Let it soak a while. Hopefully you have a bleed/drain screw or can remove the high speed needle. Drain the cleaner then try running with fresh gas, plug, etc.

Try to give us a little more description on the carb.

This is a past point which is moot now, but for the future, it doesn't hurt to take out the plug, spray in a penetrant (WD40),let the piston and rings soak a few minutes to loosen any crud in there and pull the starter easy a few times. Some might say it's not necessary and probably isn't, but a little precaution could save breaking a stuck ring or frozen piston. I would rather save a piston and cylinder than worry about being "right."

Last edited by downunder; 05-08-2010 at 08:14 AM.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I think I can find help to get the carb off as that is new to me. Had to get the garden in already but it will be useful for other planting coming up. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Cuppa T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Household Handyman

Tiller: Horizontal shaft motor. Craftsman 6.5 HP: Most likely a Techumseh motor. "Got it started but it was rough sounding and belched white". Most likely a piston ring stuck, allowed some oil to pass by and the oil burnt off. I'm not a fan of WD-40 for anything, I like to use motor oil in a cylinder if the engine has not been ran for say, two months, before trying to crank it. "It cranks up OK but immediately cuts off." Fuel problem. It has air and spark or would not crank at all, two conditions met for cranking/running. You are not getting fuel consistently to the carb. Without a model number, or picture, I'm going on instinct here: By removing the fuel tank and carb as a unit from the engine, you can remove the carb from the fuel tank and should find a tube which goes down into the fuel tank. I'm betting the screen on the bottom of the fuel pick-up tube is fouled up with crude from within the tank. Remove all the gas in the tank for proper disposal. Go to a good auto parts store (locally owned is better) and get a fuel tank cleaner. This is not a gas additive, it goes in the tank to remove residual rust and crud. Sometimes you can clean the screen on the pick-up tube with an old toothbrush. Take the carb apart, as much as you are comfortable doing, and clean with a spray carb cleaner. New gaskets where parts mate as they go together are a must here. You should be able to find via the internet info on how to set the carb by using the engine model/serial number. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

T,
A little learning opportunity here please-
1. Why not a fan of WD-40?
2. I have always considererd motor oil for lubrication but not particularly for where parts might be stuck together. Your reason/experience for that please? But along that same line of thought, if I know I'm not going to use a piece of equipment for a season or so, I usually squirt a little through the spark plug hole then crank a couple of turns. Seems to work and cheaper than "fogging" products. BTW, have you ever used those with success?

If I keep asking questions, one day I might know it all but I doubt it.