Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #1

Share |

Cracked, Sunken, Too high Sidewalk!

Hi Folks,

I purchased a house last year with a sidewalk along the side to the back (where there is a walk up basement). Unfortunately, the sidewalk was laid too high above the foundation next to the brick vaneer and it cracked and sunken towards the house.

I was told by my neighbor that this is actually the second sidewalk that was laid. And you can indeed see that this stretch is a different colour than the rest.

So I ripped out the sidewalk (which had two steps next to the driveway at the foundations lowest point).

Upon removing the sidewalk I discovered it was poured directly on clay soil. So I dug up a bunch of that and laid crushed gravel down. I have also graded it so the two steps are now split up and rise with the foundation.

I have a mason coming to fix the brick work and after that will have a new sidewalk poured.

What I want to know is what I should put next to the side walk to allow water to follow away from the house? The neighbors grade is much higher than mine.

I though of digging a trench along side the newly poured sidewalk, putting a weeping tile or pipe of sort and covering it with gravel. Is this a good solution? How deep should the trench be? How far should the trench go? To the public sidewalk? To the street (under the sidewalk?).

Thanks
fake50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, drainage, foundation, sidewalk