Crabgrass In MA - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Crabgrass in MA

I have a walkway that goes up the middle of my front yard (in Mass). On the left side of the walkway, I ripped out all of the old grass, brought in new soil, and put down SOD last spring. I have a few dead spots that I have to deal with. Last fall I noticed some sprigs of, what I think, crabgrass starting.

The right side of the walkway is another story. About 3 years ago, I had a bunch of pine trees removed. The landscaper graded it out real nice, but used cheap grass seed. Now 70% of the area to the right of the front walkway is crabgrass.
I searched the web and found all kinds of different advice. I need some advice on what I should do to both sides of the walkway.

QUESTION 1: For the side that is 70% crabgrass? Should I rototill it, rake it out and re-seed? Should I spray it with Scotts Weed Killer first?

QUESTION 2: For the new SOD, I was told to put down 10-10-10 on the new SOD. Should I also put down some Scotts Fertilizer with Crabgrass Preventer?

Thanks in advance !

Advertisement

JustAHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
kmc

Rewards Points: 75

Crabgrass in MA

Crabgrass cannot be selectively killed. You must use a preventative product to prevent germination of seeds. Probably too late on weed and feed. I would water + fertilize the area and get it nice and healthy. After a couple of weeks when the weeds are popping, roundup the whole area with 2%. Then wait two weeks for total kill and till the soil, apply sod and weed and feed or seed it. Be aware that if you seed it the crabgrass will probably come too. Weed and feed will kill your grass seed.

Advertisement

kmc is offline   Reply With Quote