Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Crabgrass - bad seed?

I re-seeded my back yard this year. I spread out 4" of new topsoil and seeded it. I used a penn state mixture that was brought to me with the dirt from the landscape supply company.

I also did my side yard. I got the topsoil from the same place, but used Scott's turfbuilder, penn state mixture.

I have a Ton of crabgrass in the back yard and hardly any in the side yard. Grass on the side is nice and green and growing strong while the back is struggling and a lot of crabgrass. The back yard does get a lot more sun.

Could I have gotten a bad batch of seed for the back? How do I get rid of the crabgrass and weeds, is it too early to treat? It's been about 2-2.5 months since seeding the yard. Any info helps.

Thanks,
Branden
Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Crabgrass - bad seed?

No - the seed is probably fine, but spring and summer are not the ideal seasons to start grass. You made a nice bed for seed, but cool-season grass seed doesn't take as well in warm sun and the crabgrass seed took advantage of the situation.

It's too late to do much now other than continue to water and hand-pull weeds, but if you re-seed later in the season (September-Oct) is a much better time to do it. Alternatively, if you have to seed in August, treat with Tupersan or similar to keep the weeds from germinating while you germinate grass. It's not perfect and you will still get weeds, just not as bad. I just did this with a grading project in my back yard, mostly grass but some crabgrass. I'll let the grass grow nice and tall before I mow, and hopefully next season the crabgrass will be on the ropes.

Last edited by Thunder Chicken; 08-27-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote