Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

Share |

covering irrigation up

I'm not using the irrigation for several reasons. Mostly I can't deal with it. I want to plant a bougainvillea under this window, and they're prickly shrubs. It will eventually cover all these white pipes.

When I dig a hole for the shrub am I going to run into pipes in the ground? I figure if I ever sell the next owner can cut the shrub down if they want and the pipes will still be there.

Also I wonder why someone put the brick pavers near the faucet? If they were under the faucet I'd say it was to keep mud away, but they're not under the faucet. Could it be to coil a hose and lay there?

And, farther down past the faucet there's even another white pipe sticking up, but it has a black cap on it, so it's different than the cluster of irrigation pipes. Wonder why?

covering irrigation up-dscn0460.jpg

Last edited by Startingover; 05-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

covering irrigation up

With that many valves it's extremely likely you'll run into irrigation pipes if you dig there.

The pavers are perhaps for a rolling garbage can or an outdoor bbq grill.

Rewound98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

covering irrigation up

rewound, thanks.

I like shrubs in front of windows for privacy and prickly ones are the best.

I guess I'll just dig around a little and see what's down there. Maybe I can put the shrub to the right of the window?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

covering irrigation up

Each of those pipes off the front of the valves goes to some lateral run. I suspect that pipe with the black thing (cannot see what it is) is a sprinkler off one of those lateral lines. Hate to see you completely disable all the valves in case you want to run some drip irrigation or something some day. A vine is going to mess up the solenoid wiring. It is a rather weird looking approach to landscape plumbing.

Last edited by user1007; 05-14-2012 at 05:03 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

covering irrigation up

Down below those valves your going to find a manifold where all the pipes from the different zones connect, i wouldn't dig that up if i were you,i see at least 5 zones.
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

covering irrigation up

I hope there is a water cut-off valve ahead of that manifold somewhere? Kind of scary thinking about wrapping around the intake side of those valves if there is water running to them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #7

covering irrigation up

There's a well in the middle of the back yard for the irrigation but it doesn't work now, so I'm just going to forget about it.

I'm planting drought resistant, native plants.

No, I don't want to damage this irrigation system in case I ever do start using it, but I can't maintain it myself and can't afford to hire anyone.

My side setback line for the property is a little narrow, so that may explain why the previous owners didn't have shrubs on this side. Interesting.

I still can't figure out why there's a faucet there. There is another faucet about the same location on the opposite side of the house. There's also a faucet on the back side of the house. Why faucets when there was irrigation, unless the original builder put the faucets in and the irrigation came along later.

I'm going to see about having a plumber cap this one off so I don't have to worry about leaks.

thanks

Last edited by Startingover; 05-15-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #8

covering irrigation up

[quote=Startingover;921638]There's a well in the middle of the back yard for the irrigation but it doesn't work now, so I'm just going to forget about it.

I'm planting drought resistant, native plants.

No, I don't want to damage this irrigation system in case I ever do start using it, but I can't maintain it myself and can't afford to hire anyone.

My side setback line for the property is a little narrow, so that may explain why the previous owners didn't have shrubs on this side. Interesting.

I still can't figure out why there's a faucet there. There is another faucet about the same location on the opposite side of the house. There's also a faucet on the back side of the house. Why faucets when there was irrigation, unless the original builder put the faucets in and the irrigation came along later.

I'm going to see about having a plumber cap this one off so I don't have to worry about leaks.

thanks[/quote

Faucets were put in by the builder,and the irrigation system was added by the owner probably, and if the well serves the irrigation system there might be a shutoff.

As to the three faucets you talk about, i have three on my house and it's pretty much standard practice down here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

covering irrigation up

Since there will be pipes underground preventing planting large shrubbery I just had an idea.

I'll put a trellis in the ground in front of that window and put confederate jasmine on it to shield the window a little.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
kmc

covering irrigation up

Bougainvillea is not going to take off like a rocket.
kmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #11

covering irrigation up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc View Post
Bougainvillea is not going to take off like a rocket.

Thats what you think!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #12

covering irrigation up

When I lived here before, down in Vero Beach, people used to stop and ask what I did to my bougainvillea and seagrape because they were so big.

Nothing. They're native so I didn't fuss over them.

Now, I'm on the border of zones 8 and 9, so things may grow differently. I'll find out soon enough.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #13

covering irrigation up

[quote=Startingover;922751]When I lived here before, down in Vero Beach, people used to stop and ask what I did to my bougainvillea and seagrape because they were so big.

Nothing. They're native so I didn't fuss over them.

Now, I'm on the border of zones 8 and 9, so things may grow differently. I'll find out soon enough. [/quote

Well that means your quite a ways north of me,but i guess you'll find out soon enough.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #14

covering irrigation up

You could plant your bougainvilleas on each side of the window then build a cicular or square arch over the pipes. Then put some lattice across the bottom in front of the pipes and let the vines grow up around and in front of the pipes. Now you don't have to worry about digging in front of the pipes.
C Alan Co. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #15

covering irrigation up

C Alan Co.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

After seeing a yard laid out with irrigation pipes I'm apprehensive about planting everything that I want and putting in a small garden. I know I'll run into those pipes everywhere.

The little window past the bedroom window is in a bathroom and I wish I could plant something there, but anything I can think of would hinder the meter reader when he looks at the nearby electric meter.

Last edited by Startingover; 05-18-2012 at 08:15 AM.